Barnes LRX (.264) on elk?

Stretch_TX

Has anyone had any real world elk experience with the Barnes 6.5mm LRX bullets?
Would they be comparable to the Nosler Accubond bullets?

(I'm shooting the 6.5 GAP 4s SAUM, if that makes any difference, only looking to tag another cow elk, not a monster bull !)

Thanks for any insights you may want to share,
Stretch

Mono bullets perform better than Accubonds….the question should be are they accurate in your rifle?
I am playing with the 190g LRX in my 300 RUM this weekend, have been gathering components for it but still have no dies, so I have bought several boxes of 180g TTSX, a box of 165g TTSX and 3 boxes of the 190g LRX. The TTSX's are very accurate in my rifle, so hoping the LRX will do the same.

Cheers.

The 127gr LRX bullets produced 1/3 flyers in my 6.5PRC Proof barrel. Not sure why it's happening but it pays to spend some time at the bench with new bullets.
You won't have that problem with Hammers just get the bullet for your twist load and shoot they don't take a lot of tuning they seem too take the rifling easier with less fouling and are not as hard on the bore ( softer copper)

You won't have that problem with Hammers just get the bullet for your twist load and shoot they don't take a lot of tuning they seem too take the rifling easier with less fouling and are not as hard on the bore ( softer copper)

I've been shooting Hammers longer then most here. And while I really like the Hammers I remain an equal opportunity shooter. LOL

I've been shooting Hammers longer then most here. And while I really like the Hammers I remain an equal opportunity shooter. LOL
I don't waist my time with Barnes any more I probably was one of the first on this Forum too load them when they first came too the market I've tried them all but the Hammers trump them in every way for my needs

Thank you gentlemen!
I've ordered the 124 Hammer Hunters.. & am excited to try them out!

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences!
Stretch

I shot well over 30 deer and hogs with the 127 LRX at just over 3,000 fps from my 6.5x284 and never got a blood trail or recovered a bullet. This includes 2 cow elk quartering shots that went ribs to shoulder and exited with a caliber sized hole, no blood. One cow was lost to a grizzly we came up on at 20 yards the next morning, scary. Bullets were very accurate .3 MOA, longest kill was a coyote at ~860 yards. All the animals died from hits to the vitals but I never got a blood trail or good sized exit from the 6.5 LRX but I have a dozen or so of the perfectly mushroomed .30 caliber Barnes, maybe just the 6.5 doesn't expand well, don't know. The alloy they use is very hard and pressures up faster than the softer alloys used by Cutting Edge and Hammer bullets. The CEB 140 Lazer is what I shoot from that gun now and has a G1 of ~.600 and expands down to 1,300 fps but you need a 7 twist barrel. You should like the Hammers as they are really easy to load !

I had success with the 120GMX at 3,250 fps on a bull at 225 yards, don't see why the 127 would be any different. Load development wasn't as easy as traditional bullets, so buy extra and plan a few more range trips to dial it in.

Haven't shot an elk with one yet, but a couple deer and a handful of blackbears. Bears from 20-75 yards and deer 150-300y. Almost all shot broadside through the chest. Caliber hole in, 2" dia perm wound channel, lots of bloodshot around the hole and lungs typically torn apart and a 2" exit hole.