264 WM for elk

Gnan222

Planning an elk hunt and I would like to use my 264 WM being that it was my grandfathers. Does anyone have any experience with the HSM Trophy Gold Berger VLD 140 gr HPBT? I do have some dies and am not opposed to making some custom loads for the 264 if anyone wouldn't mind sharing an elk killing recipe. I'd appreciate anyones feedback regarding 264 loads/elk killing experience.

In addition I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9 x 40 on the 264, I'm assuming this will be sufficient for my elk hunt??

Thanks!

222, the 140 Berger will do an elk easily. Just finished testing the 140 in my friend's 264Win with H1000 which shot outstanding groups from his late father's Remington 700 which we bedded in a McMillan. As for a scope I'd prefer a bit more power.

I have a pre64 Model 70 264 win mag, as does my father, and another friend. We have all killed many (50ish) elk with them. We use Sierra 140 SBT with H4831. 62 grains works for us, but that is max load for most manuals so build up to it. Just fired a bunch this weekend and these rifles with 26 inch barrels do very well with that load.

Thanks guys, I'll have to load some of each.
Any input on the scope? I have my eye on a couple Leupolds....butI'm not opposed to another brand if the quality is equivalent, I'd like to keep it under $700
VX 3i 6.5-20 x 40 side focus
VX 3i 4.5-14 x 40 side focus

the 3x9 will do you just fine, with how flat shooting the 264 WM is you could set a 300 yard zero, and with a high BC bullet your point blank range on elk would be around 450 yards.

morning, I do not own a 264 but does not mean I would like
to build one. between the 264WM and the 300WM. 2 of the
finest rounds ever produced. TUM

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen, in currently working up some loads and ended up ordering the Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20...

Good luck on your hunt! I took my elk this past year with a 264 WM. I was running the 142 gr Nosler ABLR at 3250. Ran the first shot through both shoulders but below the spine. Tough animals though. He got back up and I ran another one from his hip to his off shoulder. 5' of elk is good penetration in my book and a bunch of elk steaks in the freezer.
I'm using Nosler brass, Rem mag primers and RL33 powder to get the velocity.

Last edited:
I know a fellow that wacked quite a good number of Elk with the 264 Win Mag using the 125 Nosler Partition. He said when you put one through the vitals if they don't go straight down they don't go very far and a blind man could follow the blood trail. I have never elk hunted because they don't live in my neck of the woods but I have killed a good number of white tail deer with my 264 Win mag with 130 Accubonds and 99.9% of them drop in their tracks. I have only recovered one bullet and it smashed the left front shoulder whet length wise of the buck and was found against the smashed right ball socket in the ham. Recovered weight was 87 grs and was a text book mushroom. Bullet left muzzle at 3350 fps and buck was at 111 yards.

I built one for my Dad, we've tried for a few years, but he hasn't gotten one in the scope yet.

Are you the same CBM from the Hide?

OP, the .264 is a great and somewhat overlooked cartridge. You'll do just fine with it. Good to hear you upgraded the scope, it definitely can't hurt. The .264 I load for loves 140 Accubonds (the owner isn't into LRH) pushed by Retumbo. Sub 1" @ 200yds. It's done very well on speed goats up thru elk.

t

I have a custom 264 WM that's killed a few elk, and I'm taking it on my late season limited entry bull hunt here in Utah this year. 140 Berger's at 3150 will get the job done easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.