338 ULTRA MAG & 225gr. BARNES RESULTS

Yipes! That is a gorgeous rifle. I have used ironwood for custom game calls in the past. I can vouch for all the patience and hard work that went into that stock. Some day, I'm going to have just one special rifle. A thing of beauty and functionality to be enjoyed for the rest of my life.

I just got a 338RUM reamer in the mail and a couple of Jim's 4 port brakes and I was reviewing your posts and really dig what you have going. The RUM is for my buddy and he wanted to shoot lighter bullet like the 225-250 class and I showed him what yours was doing and he nearly went into convulsions.
I ran the ballistics with generic scope height and enviro and I found it very nice, it should be super flat to 1000yrds, I only had it using 17.5 MOA at my elevation at 1000yrd which is the same range that it hits 1800fps, very nice combo to put to work on an elk IMO! I'm very interested to see how this unfolds for ya!

In between working and doing some load development I put a Bobby Hart LRT stock on my 338 Ultra mag for hunting purposes so I don't destroy my Joel Russo ironwood stock. I devcon bedded it and added a 1 inch spacer to give me a longer LOP. I headed to the range on thursday morning after work cause it was pretty calm to shoot a couple groups at 500 yds and verify bullet drop from my 300 yd zero.
I checked 300 impact which was 1 inch high and fired 3 shots at 500 which were 20 inches low. I dialed in some elevation and fired 3 more and the wind started picking up so I decided not to waste any ammo, but I was happy with the results.
I think if I had some better sandbags it would be easier to hold the gun steadier. I can't believe how much the rifle moves when you are trying to squeeze one off at a 3 inch dot at 500 yds and my canjar set trigger is adjusted to just more than breeze to set it off.
What are you guys using for Good sandbags?
100_0113.jpg

300 yrd pic thru the Burris
100_0103.jpg

First group at 500 yds.
100_0120.jpg

2nd group after elevation correction with a little wind to take it to the left of center Sorry pic is sideways.
100_0119.jpg

Tarey

Tarey, that is some great shooting, This gun has really turned the corner for you that is great

I think my Gunsmith gets most of the credit for that. :D Your work was flawless. And I can't say enough about your Muscle brake. That gun is FUN to shoot.
Thanks Jim.
What kind of good sandbags do you use? I need some bags that are deeper and hold the gun firmer, if that makes any sense.
Tarey

I think my Gunsmith gets most of the credit for that. :D Your work was flawless. And I can't say enough about your Muscle brake. That gun is FUN to shoot.
Thanks Jim.
What kind of good sandbags do you use? I need some bags that are deeper and hold the gun firmer, if that makes any sense.
Tarey

On the sand bags, I am not sure what to tell you for the rounded forends other than go to Mid-way and look at what they have available and see if any reviews written by customers will lead you down a path.

I use a 3" flat for f-class and I should really order some bags for my rest that fit the rounded profiles.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 338 Lapua and I was using h1000 and retumbo but I see the results here with the same bullets I want to shoot and I am VERY surprised. How did this end up working on the hunt?? Do you still use this or have you changed?

THanks
Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.