338 Ultra Mag and 338 Lapua Recoil

Dakor, I shoot a .45 knight disc. I use the 195 barnes and two pellets. Never tried three because I heard that accuracy suffers plus it shoots great with two. I never had a problem with the recoil but my friend thought it had a kick. I thought the 7STW was pretty good - never bothered by recoil.

I just built a 338 Lapua without a brake. The gun is about 12.5 pounds with a scope. I'm hoping the recoil is tolerable without the brake. I've never had a problem with recoil before.....but then again I've never shot anything this powerful before.

The most powerful rifle I've fired was a 300 ultramag without a brake it was a remington 40X custom. Does anyone know how this will compare with a 338 lapua weighing 12.5 lbs shooting 300 SMK's?

I think a shooting a 12.5# 338 Lapua with 300gr bullets and without a brake will be brutal!!!! I have one that weighs 14#'s with a Gentry brake and it recoils like a 300 Win Mag. I would think recoil would be atleast 50% greater than the 300 RUM.
JMHO,
Wayne

[ 04-16-2004: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

http://www.biggameinfo.com/RecoilCalc.aspx

plug in the approx #s and see for yourself
smile.gif

Please don't remind me about shooting my Lapua without a muzzle brake.

My Sako TRG 338 Lapua is coming in next week and I'll be spending the entire weekend breaking it in shooting her without a muzzle brake, scope, rails or bi-pod (muzzle brake is back ordered)

The rifle barebone weights at a little over 11 lbs! OH... the pain
frown.gif

M powered, mine was 10.5+ pounds with out the scope.

Trader 388. I already ran the recoil on my PC a while ago. According to the computers programs (and I used several different ones)I get around 38+ lbs of recoil. Thats less than the 340 WBY. But when I speak to people they say the Lapua kicks harder than the 340 WBY.

That recoil calculator is pretty neet. It says the 338LM w/300gr bullet is only about 12.5% greater than my 300 RUM w/180 bullet.
It will be interesting to see how much more it really feels like. John M, please keep us posted on how your rifle shoots. I have no desire to shoot my 338LM without the brake.
Wayne

M Powered, mine is not a sako its a custom built. I dont have a scale so I cna't weight it. I'm just goin with what the gunsmith says.

Wayne McD, I'll definitely keep you posted!

I shoot both the .338 Lapua and .338 RUM. Recoil on the Lapua is tolerable with 225 grs. at 3200+. Rifle is about 10.5 Lbs w/ scope. The .338 RUM is a little less at the same speed. NO muzzle brakes. You just have to get used to it. It is more of a shooting stile than anything else. Practice is the key. Start with about 25 rounds a day and work up from there. Accuracy is exelent, under 1 MOA. I am still working on the load.

I am still been debating on what to do
confused.gif
I have thought about a 338 win mag with a 28 inch finish or go with a 338 Ultra mag and they have one at a gun shop here in a Sendero used at a good price but I would say if it was around 38 lbs of recoil I could handle it or get used to it. But looking a 338 win using less powder and less recoil and it puts up some pretty good numbers what do you guys think?

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

338 Ultra, you can always download to 338 WM MV's. Brass will last longer at lower pressures as a bonus. What's a few more grains of powder anyway?
grin.gif

A 250gr bullet at 3000 FPS has 5000 FPE, the 338 Ultra will get there, the 338 WM is extremely hot if you you dare go that high.

Recoil will be stiff, but easily managable with practice. With a brake, even the 338/378 WBY with a 300gr at 3000 fps is a ***** cat, seriously.

For short range, 250gr Barnes X, long range the 300gr SMK, you've got a nice all around rig.

Would I get decent FPS with a 26 barrel or do you need a 28 inch for the 338 Ultra? If a 26 is good enough then I think I will just by a Sendero I havent seen one of those yet that would not shoot a 1/2 inch or less. With a bipod and a scope it is going to weigh around 12bs as this is what my STW weighs in a Sendero. You joke about the 338-378 a guy I know shoots one with out a break with 250 grainers in a 10lbs rifle
shocked.gif
Anyone shooting an Ultra in a Sendero with out a break? How is the barrel life on a 338 Ultra? I think if I go this route I would just shoot the 225 TSX that is all I need for what I am going to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.