338 lapua over 338 mag

martyj

I already have a couple of 338 mags and like them but was thinking about getting a 338 lapua.
I was wondering if Im really going to gain a whole lot in range.
thanks marty

If you are talking about the 338 win mag, then Yes it will gain you a considerable amount of distance. The 338 win mag will lose too much velocity with the heavier pills over the Lapua. A 338 Lapua with the 300gr Bergers will get you to 1500 yards +. Even the 338 RUM will out perform the win mag for distance.. Either one of the two I mentioned are in another class compared to the 338 win mag. Don't get me wrong the win mag is a good close to moderate range heavy hitter but there are much better options available today..

That is a comparison of a race car and a moped in my eyes. The win mag might get you there but will take alot of effort.

I own them both but the WM just collects dust now. The flat trajectory of the Lapua allows me to take a shot I would never have previously attempted.

338 wm with a 300gr pill is at 2300 fps, 338 Lapua with a 300 gr pill 2800 thats 500 fps thats huge. With both guns zeroed at 300 yard the lapua dropes 227''and has 2084 ft-lbs at 1000 yards. The 338wm drops 351'' and has 1314ft-lbs. I would say thats enough to adds a few yard to your shooting capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts