225gr-250gr 338 Elk Bullet for 338 Win Mag?

Bergers load data is castrated. Nosler shows 2700s. If you load longer coal, I'm sure 2800 is on the table.
This is my issue wth the 338wm. Bigger+ less aerodynamic bullets with less case capacity than the 300wm. Same issue with the RUM and Nosler cartridges. I'm certain its for legal reasons because it makes no sense otherwise.
Good luck in your search.
Winchester introduced .338 WM in 1958 and the .300 WM came later in 1963. Remington introduced the .338 RUM in 1999 and later followed by the .338 RUM in 2001. Yes, Remington screwed up. Shawn Carlock was smart to realize Remington's shortcoming and came up with his .338 EDGE in 2001.

I do not think the .338 WM was designed to propel heavier than 250g at long range beyond 5-600Y. As noted, I have similar rifle as @Hoss50. I experimented with the 225 and 250 NABs and settled for the 225. The Berger 250s/300s are pretty long for the rifle's short COAL and insufficient powder capacity to propel them effectively at long ranges and desirable velocities.

Last edited:
Bergers load data is castrated. Nosler shows 2700s. If you load longer coal, I'm sure 2800 is on the table.
This is my issue wth the 338wm. Bigger+ less aerodynamic bullets with less case capacity than the 300wm. Same issue with the RUM and Nosler cartridges. I'm certain its for legal reasons because it makes no sense otherwise.
Good luck in your search.
Based on magazine length I am restricted to about 3.41" COL. That is only about .08" over book COL. I have some 250gr Partitions I will try and sling, but I am afraid Bergers or other longer 250gr are going to be long.

Based on magazine length I am restricted to about 3.41" COL. That is only about .08" over book COL. I have some 250gr Partitions I will try and sling, but I am afraid Bergers or other longer 250gr are going to be long.

If it's a Model 70 Win…..the short magazine length is pretty easily overcome by removing the magazine block and modifying the bolt stop! I considered doing that with my wife's .338 WM…..but, figured that 225's @ 2950 was probably about all my wife was comfortable with! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Winchester introduced .338 WM in 1958 and the .300 WM came later in 1963. Remington introduced the .338 RUM in 1999 and later followed by the .338 RUM in 2001. Yes, Remington screwed up. Shawn Carlock was smart to realize Remington's shortcoming and came up with his .338 EDGE in 2001.

I do not think the .338 WM was designed to propel heavier than 250g at long range beyond 5-600Y. As noted, I have similar rifle as @Hoss50. I experimented with the 225 and 250 NABs and settled for the 225. The Berger 250s/300s are pretty long for the rifle's short COAL and insufficient powder capacity to propel them effectively at long ranges and desirable velocities.
I agree with what you wrote. I own a 338 edge for the reason you mentioned.
If the magazine wasn't the limiting factor, you could throat the chamber longer and really add some fps. Most of my hunting guns have Wyatt boxes and opened ejection ports to maximize options/potential of each cartridge.

One issue in this question is the weight-to-velocty-to-momentum factor (probably a better term for that). In my 45 Raptor, I could run a 200 grain barnes bullet at 2900 fps. It would always open and penetrate thru deer upto ~130 yards. After that I got complete expansion, but not penetration. Once I moved to 240+grs, I always get complete penetration/expansion...at least out to 215 yards. Point here is you could probably get higher velocity with a barnes bullet 200grs or less, but would it fully open/penetrate at 450-500?
The NAB is a well rounded bullet that's good at many things, but doesn't really shine anywhere.
Would a swift scirroco at 210grs be a good option?

I have and a lot with each. Not only my own but others I load for from the quarter bore to 338. For terminal performance on elk the partitions and Hammers are very close. The difference being in the past five seasons we've never recovered a Hammer and I haven't found a rifle yet that they don't shoot exceptional from. To date, I've only ran the Hammer Hunters and the majority of the rifles I load for are Weatherby's and a few RUMS. We've taken as few as six elk per season to as many as 15 and wouldn't dare to guess the number of mule deer and whitetails and have yet to see a Hammer fail. My suggestion to the OP was the 225 Shock Hammer (although I've never loaded or shot an animal with them), all reports are they are as easy to tune as the Hammer Hunters and because of the slower MV than I'm used to running Within his parameters it would be the most dependable given any shot angle.

Curious George here again but where on earth are you going where you're taking 6-15 head of elk a fall? That's a lot of elk packing and eating...

I've used the 340 Wby a ton load (went thru 2 barrels) and with that came a lot of elk. I/we normally used the 250 Nozler (Partition), though we used the 210 and 225 when it came out as well. The 250 was fav as it was incredibly accurate! In my recovered bullet box I've got more 250 Nozlers than anything else by a long shot. The 250's are incredible elk bullets and work well on smaller big game like deer and lopes as well.

Which Hammer have bullet have you been using on elk?

Doesn't surprise me that you've not recovered any Hammers on elk, once that front end comes off then you've got a wadcutter and those (just like when this happens with the TTSX) they'll just blow on thru.

I retired my .340 a few years ago, I still run my 338/06 a bit though. Might be kind of fun to try some of the Hammers in the 338/06 for fun and giggles. Any idea which Hammer I should try in it?

Thx

260 grain Hammer Hunter, 338-378 Weatherby.
Curious George here again but where on earth are you going where you're taking 6-15 head of elk a fall? That's a lot of elk packing and eating...

I've used the 340 Wby a ton load (went thru 2 barrels) and with that came a lot of elk. I/we normally used the 250 Nozler (Partition), though we used the 210 and 225 when it came out as well. The 250 was fav as it was incredibly accurate! In my recovered bullet box I've got more 250 Nozlers than anything else by a long shot. The 250's are incredible elk bullets and work well on smaller big game like deer and lopes as well.

Which Hammer have bullet have you been using on elk?

Doesn't surprise me that you've not recovered any Hammers on elk, once that front end comes off then you've got a wadcutter and those (just like when this happens with the TTSX) they'll just blow on thru.

I retired my .340 a few years ago, I still run my 338/06 a bit though. Might be kind of fun to try some of the Hammers in the 338/06 for fun and giggles. Any idea which Hammer I should try in it?

dogz, I personally have shot 22 bulls in the past 25 years and have shot them from the 150 grain combined technology partition golds out of a 270 Weatherby Mag to the 181 Hammer Hunters out of a 30-378 and yes I cherish every ounce as its all come out on my back. I load (although most don't recommend) for a large circle of friends who do the same and have for many years from the 1/4 bore to 338's. If you like I'll be happy to PM you all the pics but I'm not one to boast and brag, I'm just trying to give real world advice as to what I've experienced.
For you 338/06 I'd definitely give the Shock Hammers a shot.

Stan Payne

My COAL is 3.40"; below is loaded with 225g NAB. Above it is 250 and 300 Bergers.

.338 WM .225 NAB vs .250 Berger vs 300 Berger.jpg