Scope for 338 Rem Ultra Mag

If you can hold off , wait for the Vortex Viper PST to come out at the ShotShow.
Can be had in FFP or SFP, with MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.
All models illuminated.
Weight will be about 22-23oz.
All under $1,000.00
I think the sfp scopes will be in the 500.00 range. The fpp scopes in the 750-800.00
These are the tactical line that Vortex is coming out with, and I think it will take alot of market share.

This is the one I think I will be getting:

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

Tank
I have the very similar 6.5-20X50 Viper and I like it very much. Here's a pic on my Grendel:

PICT0018.JPG

For hunting I'd suggest the Mildot over the target dot. I feel it's a fantastic scope for the money. The glass is good, tracking is spot on and quality is very good. I'd say it compares favorably with the Leupold VX-III LR's by most measures. A great scope for the money.

That said, it's not much money. A serious hunting rifle like you're putting together deserves a bit better IMHO. So I definitely second the above on the PST.

I have a 6-24X50 PST on order to replace this. Better optics, better (exposed) knobs, zero stop, clicks that match the reticle, better reticle, FFP (optional), illumination.... Naturally it costs more (nearly double) but still much, much less than the competition.

If you have budget for a NF, Razor, Premier, etc, then by all means those are all great scopes as well. But the PST's will give a quality option between the extremes.

Those scopes just scream, "I AM THE MAN!!!" That thing looks good on your rifle. The reason I said about the Target dot is due to the style of shooting he said it would be used for. I have a hard time using my mil-dots properly, so I make range cards and twittle the turrets all day. I don't mind it. I know where my zero's are at. I am excited to see the new Vortex's though. I didn't know they were coming out with a tactical line. Will be waiting with anticipation.

Tank

The Vortex PSTs look very interesting. I couldn't be happier with my Sightron SIII 6-24X50mm, but I wish they could be purchased as a 4-16X50mm. I suspect I'll purchase one the Vortex PSTs and will then compare it to the SIII very closely for quality of glass. I've read pretty positive feedback on the Vortex line of scopes. Anyone know yet if the glass in the PSTs is identical in quality to that installed in their Vortex Viper line of scope?

I couldn't be happier with my Sightron SIII 6-24X50mm, but I wish they could be purchased as a 4-16X50mm.
I checked out a SIII 6-24 at the range the other day and was very impressed with the glass--and the quality of the scope overall. Good stuff for the price. But at this point it turrets that don't match the reticle would annoy me too much. If the PST glass is that good I'll be very happy for a scope in that pricerange.
Anyone know yet if the glass in the PSTs is identical in quality to that installed in their Vortex Viper line of scope?
According to Vortex techs, it will be better. The optical system is completely redesigned the main differences being the 4X zoom range instead of 3X, better image quality overall, less "tunnel effect" than most other scopes and long eye relief.

We'll see when they get here....

Jon,
Thanks for the additional details and these Vortex PSTs are now sounding better than ever for my needs and use. I need another scope or two. I know the Viper line is decent glass. Anything better in the PSTs would be a treat.

I just bought a Vortex Crossfire 8x32*50 for $220. Vortex has a no BS warranty. A LR target shooter on a Savage site uses one and loves it. I'll let you know how it functions.

On my 338 RUM I put a

Redfield ILLUMINATOR accutrac 3x9 Widefield scope using the "A" dial she is spot on out to 600 yards.

My load using Swift 225gr A frame and 230gr Fail Safe bullets and 91.0 of RL 22.

How about a $149.00 Leupold vari X 1, 3 x 9...it's all you'll ever need for hunting big game, chances are it's for hunting not bench rest match shooting...got one on my .338 am and it's been fine for decades.

On my 338 RUM I put a

Redfield ILLUMINATOR accutrac 3x9 Widefield scope using the "A" dial she is spot on out to 600 yards.

My load using Swift 225gr A frame and 230gr Fail Safe bullets and 91.0 of RL 22.

Also for just 1k yard shooting and under the 3x9 or 3.5x10 is perfect..........

I put a Burris Veracity 5x25x50 on my 338RUM and am very happy with it. last week in Wyoming shooting 1140 yards I could see hits on rocks that were making big smear marks. Shooting 300gr Sierra Match Kings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.