billywj

Do any of you guys shoot one.

What load do you shoot?

and last but not least i am looking for a long range scope
dont want to spend over about 1300

so what do you guys think would be best

thanks
billy

I'm in the process of building a 300 rum (cant hardly wait) but I do have a scope and believe it will work quite well. I'm using a Leupold VX III 4.5.-14x50 LR. I just sent it to Leupold today for a target elevation turret and the "MTR" recticle. the scope itself is about $700 plus $280 for the turret and reticle. tought to beat for under a thousand bucks.

I shot a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM for about 2 years. I put 1200 rounds through it in that time period..I saw great accuracy and performance from this caliber and rifle. The rifle was basically stock except trigger work and glass bedded/free floated. I tried various bullets from 150-220g but settle on 200g AB @3200fps, or the 210g VLD @3000fps. I used the 200g AB load to take a few elk, the farthest being 525 yards. I shot a few 4" 3 shot groups at 800 yards w/the rifle and its preferred loads on a good day..I could regularly hit a 15" steel plate at 1150 with the 210g VLD's..

All in all, I think its an awesome caliber, but a little more power then what you need most of the time. Thats why I downsized back down to a 7 RM. You just dont need that much power unless your shooting over 600 yards all the time..Any 7 RM or 300 Win can get you to 1K with the right bullets, so burning 30g more powder is just kinda waste, IMO. If your shooting farther then 1K and want to kill elk at 1200-1300 yards the RUM's are probly your cup of tea...

I was using a Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T w/regular duplex reticle. It was a great scope, but I wanted more magnification and fine duplex so I traded it for a VX3 6.5-20x50 LR/T w/fine duplex. A lot of peolpe are Nightforce fans though and they are hard to beat for $1300 price range..

[ QUOTE ]

and last but not least i am looking for a long range scope
dont want to spend over about 1300

so what do you guys think would be best

thanks
billy

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightforce...........

if you have 1300 for a scope night force is the only way to go. i have two 8.5x25x50 Leupold Lr and they are junk compared to the night force. i also have had 2 300 rum. i sent one to kirby to turn in to a 338-300rum but soon as it was on it's way to him. i had to have another 300rum. to me it's the best do it all round out there for hunting.

Hi billywj

I haev 300 RUM rifle, with Sightron SII 6-20x50MD Side Focus Scope MILDOT.
On my particulary rifle I used with success
- 91gr Ratumbo powder 3100fps
- 200 AB - bullet

Have one in a 700 LSS LH w/Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5x16.5 x 44.
The load I am using is with Retumbo and 180gr. Accubonds. It shoots well, I have tamed it with a Vais brake as well.
You will like how flat shooting it is. Good luck.
1kstr

Hey remingtonman, did accuracy start to diminish as you approached 1200 rounds? I've heard a lot of speculation as to the longevity of the .300 RUM, so was just wondering. Thanks, mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.