Opinions on .300 Rem SA Ultra Mag?

I think it would be an excellent choice for varmints and deer at long range. I don't own either (rifle or cartridge), but have wanted a Sendero chambered for such since their introduction. I still want one!
I do own two Sendero's (7mmMag & .25-06) and both shoot good, really good. The LTR should be/is even better. I think it goes through a more detailed QC program.
I'm under the same "mind-set" that Lou is on handloading. You will only realize this rifle/cartridge's potential/capabilities through reloading. If I were to buy that rifle today, one of the first (few) things I would do after cleaning the barrel good, and adjusting the trigger would be; get on the internet and order brass (preferrably 500rds) bullets and dies. I think that even if you get the rifle and then decide you don't like it, you can always get rid of it. It will sell. Good luck. Johnny K.

I have a Model 7 300 SAUM, and it took over 400 rounds and lots of time and money to get it to shoot right. That being said, I love the round, and even in this small a package, it shoots within 75 fps of my Finnbear 300 Win Mag. I am very limited on shooting long range, but I have shot my Model 7 under 2 inches at 200 m several times off a bipod. I did not find load development easy at all. This has been by far the most difficult rifle to develop a load for me. If you do get the rifle, I shoot 150 gr Accubonds and Partition Golds at 3100 and 140 gr Barnes XBT at 3240 with 58 and 59 gr of Varget respectively. Both shoot in same hole at 100 yds. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.