300 ultra mag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by eferry, Jul 13, 2010.

1. eferry

eferry Active Member

Can anyone recommend a devastating long range hunting bullet for a 300 ultra mag? I am able to reload and thought about trying the 180-200 Grain.
    This will be used for large game such as deer and elk.

Love to hear everyone's opinions.
    Thank you.

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

For long range shots I like the 200grain Accubond, and for up close and tough game the
    200grain Partition is one of my favorites.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

+1 for accubonds

4. 2905kyle

2905kyle Member

I took a wild boar (264 lb.) at 361 yards with a 300 RUM, using 180grain Swift Scirocco. Well it looked like it got hit with a soup can and passed through and kept on going. I have had great luck with Nosler Partition 200gr. on Moose. I am anxious to get my 300 RUM back from Nathan Dagley to test out the 200gr. Accubonds. I hear great reviews about Accubonds.

5. freebird63

freebird63 Well-Known Member

I too have a 300RUM, have been load testing with 210gr bergers, but one of the things that has hampered my accuracy has been the crappy trigger that came with the gun, but soon I will have a timney in its place and will get real serious. Its either going to be 210gr bergers or 200gr accubonds. In the past I have had great success with accubonds.

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

"devastating Long range hunting bullet"

I shoot the .300 RUM as well . I have had good luck with the 210 Berger in my rifle . If i were to choose it would be of these three choices but only because i've never used the others that are available, this is what I have used and seen in action thus far .

Keep in mind LR is what we are after that being said.

1. 210 BERGER
    2. 210 Match king
    3. 208 Hornady AMAX

Which ever one of these shoots the best in your rifle but i would start in that order .

Once you have one of these loaded up go kill elk waaay out yonder !!

BigBuck

7. Camshaft

Camshaft Well-Known Member

I slugged a big mule deer in Boardman OR about 4 years ago with a 180gr swift scirocco at around 450yds. My wind call was off so i hit him in the spine just behind the rib cage. Pretty much looked like a 12ga slug at point blank. Absolutely devastating. I shot a 300lb hog last weekend at 200yds with a 210gr matchking. Not the greatest idea, passed through the first shoulder blade and fragmented on the opposite one. Put him down hard but im not sure if it would do it out much farther.

8. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

I've settled on the BERGER 168 VLD in my .300RUM, have used it on elk/deer/antelope. Elk have been 511/486/576 yds, all one shot drop 'em shots. Deer and antelop up to 613 yds so far , same result.

9. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

As far as devastating goes, I like using the 208 A-max's in my 300WSM. Have yet to hit anything big, but the sure knock the G-hogs over pretty good. I have been playing around with this bullet for some time now, and seems to hold true to its ballistics. I have found it to be very accurate when the nut behind the trigger is tight. Take care,

Tank