Opinions on .300 Rem SA Ultra Mag?

TrpD345,
My personal opinion based on what I have read is that the 300 Winchester Short Magnum is more popular and Remington might have to do away with the .300 Rem SA Ultra Mag.
I still would love to hear the opinion of those more knowledgeable. I'm just very happy with my 300 Rem. Ultra Mag.

I have a chance to get a Mdl 700 PSS LTR in a .300 SAUM. Just wondering what input I can get on this rifle and caliber.

TrpD345,

Since I own two of these I have a little experience. I own a 40x in a McMillan A5 stock. This gun will shoot 1.7 groups at 400 yd. with nosler 180 accubonds. My other one is a sendero that I shoot 165 nosler ballistic tips. It will shoot three shot .5 groups at 100 yd. If you are a reloader you will be okay. Rem. is probably going to deep six this round as the 300 wsm is more popular. I beleive the rem. 300 saum is as easy to get shooting good as a .308, and not many are as easy. If you don't reload, I highly recommend that you look for another choice.

The upside of the gun you are considering is most of these guns will really shoot if you have the trigger lightened and skim bed the action. If it ends up being less than you want there are at a half dozen smiths on this board that will rebarrel it to a 6.5- 300 short mag. Dynamite!!!
just my opinion
Joe

[ QUOTE ]
I have a chance to get a Mdl 700 PSS LTR in a .300 SAUM. Just wondering what input I can get on this rifle and caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]I bought a new 700 LTR in .300 saum. It shot 3.5 moa 5 shot groups. The barrel was $h!t!!! Remington said that was acceptable accuracy. I did not. It is now a .300 WSM with a Shilen barrel. Anything alive at least a big as a housecat within 800 yards is usually dead on the first shot. Buy a Remington long magnum action and screw on a quality barrel. Throw it in a Mcmillan A-5 stock and watch them drop.

their 1 moa guarantee is with their testing facilities and setup. I sent my old .30-06 in when the best I could get was 2 moa and they sent me a target they got .9 moa out of it. I then had the rifle skim bedded and the crown touched up, voiding their warranty, and I was able to shoot 1/3 MOA.

TrpD345,
I say again, if you do not reload,and you have given no statement eithor way, find another choice. If you do reload this cartridge is easy to load for and is inherently accurate. All short mags seem to be inherently accurate.

That said, I do not dispute what weaverism said. my experiances with Remington are somewhat slanted since my local remington dealer has been a remington rep. in one form or other since he was a teenager. Remington does guarantee 1 moa with the LTR guns, in fact I have read .75 moa. I agree that weaverism got a raw deal, but Remington is a very large co. and if you get the bad apple and do not know how to go around this person it leaves a bad taste and a very unhappy FORMER customer. ( Is anyone from big green reading this. ) Every LTR I have been around all shot well for being a factory gun, and I have seen several. I will remind you that a lot of smiths on this board are very good at taking a short mag gun and making something that will shoot so good it is scary. If you end up not happy with the gun, the stock is a common choice for a custom gun, so a barrel is all you will have to buy, plus the smiths charges. Heck, I'm not sure you can't put it in your safe and sell it for a profit in a couple of years.I better quit, I'm starting to sound like a salesman.

Good luck in your quest
Joe

I do not reload at present, but will be starting shortly. I would like to shoot something in the 165 gr. range for normal hunting. Most of my shooting is within 200 yds. I just want something to reach out to 500 yds. on occasion for deer and the occasional varmit.

TRPD,
I have a 300 SAUM in 700 Titanium and realy like it for just what you have described. I do reload and agree that with reloading you can really get great acuracy out of this round. I get Sub-MOA (around 3/4 to 7/8) with my 700 TI and keep in mind the out of the box 700 TI is not what I would consider an accuracy rifle. Every LTR I have shot or seen shot shoots great for a factory rifle.

This is just my personal results and thoughts.

Good Luck,
Oneshot

My son uses one in the model 7 Stainless Magnum..with a Leupold 3 x 9 on it....the trigger was very, very heavy from the factory..we turned it down to around 2 1/2 pounds. I can't imagine why anyone would not want one of these rifles..lightweight, super accrurate, easy to handle..I'd have to say they are the perfect big game rifle..if they made one in LH..I'dda owned one yesterday for myself. He has killed lots of deer witht the 150 grain Barnes X-bullet XLC..no problems, all one shot kills, complete pass throughs from all angles...We did buy a few hundred pieces of brass, I don't think it'll be around long...big green did their usual in missing the boat and like everything else in life...timing is everything !! It's a shame this fine cartridge is doomed..when they dropped it from the 700 line-up, we all know what that means !!

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> is now a .300 WSM with a Shilen barrel. Anything alive at least a big as a housecat within 800 yards is usually dead on the first shot. Buy a Remington long magnum action and screw on a quality barrel. Throw it in a Mcmillan A-5 stock and watch them drop. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahmen!
The SA is as brilliant a marketing success as it is a complete fraud. You can only realized the benefits of a short fat cartridge after you do the other stuff right (starting with a good pipe).

Beta was far superior to VHS, Mac/moto CPU and OS far superior to WinTel. Now Sony makes VHS machines, MS has been the biggest MAC vendor for a decade and Mac is now migrating to Intel.

Does anyone know the going rate to convert a .300Saum to a .300wsm? I've always wanted a Rem 700Ti to have it rebarreled to .257wsm. I think that would be an excellent light deer and coyote rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.