338 Rem. Ultra

waha

Im new to ths forum business and I was seeking out any 338 ULtra owners that can help me out. I own a 338 W.M. and have been handloading it for over 11 years shooting the 225's to 2,950 and the 250's to 2,800 with a 24 inch 700 SS. How much velocity gain will I pick up if I buy a 338 Ultra with a 26 inch pipe and load it "warm" also?

Expect about a full 200fps gain when using same weight bullets, maybe a bit more. I dont own one, (I shot a 300 RUM) but I know that 3000fps with a 250g is quite easily attainable.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just trying to rationalize a new gun. I have two 300 Ultra's and I'm getting only 200 FPS gain over my hot 300 WM loads. Its fun to experiment. If I pick up a 338 Ultra I'll have to brake it because my 338 kicks plenty with the hot 250's. May get a custom job built on one of the big 338's to really make a difference but need to keep the weight below 16 for Idaho.

waha-steve,

First welcome to the board. Glad to see another ID fella on board.

Short answer: You won't gain squat when all things are considered.

Long answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just switched barrels on a REM 700 from a 24" 338 Win to a 26" 338 RUM Rem takeoff barrel- new unfired. I'm trying to get this configuration shooting consistently for an other project.

First the 338 Win: I shot nothing but Sierra 250 Game Kings and 252gr RBBT Wildcats as they shot the best. Velocities were limited, by me, to 2800 FPS MV as that was where they shot the best (1/4 MOA on a regular bases for 3 shots). The RBBTs were a little more 'regular' than the Sierras. Also case life was about 10 loads. Any higher velocities and the case life dropped off pretty fast.

The 338 RUM: I, just for fun, ran the Tubbs Final Finish process. Turned out it was a very good idea. Thats one process you can take to the bank.

So far max velocities are just under 3100 FPS w/the Hornady 225s. I finally, and I mean finally, got a decent group w/225s/94.5gr 7828 @ 3098 MV of about 0.6 MOA. So far its the only group that wasn't a pattern.

With RL-25 about 94.5gr I'm getting the same max velocity as with the 225s (2900 to 3000) depending on seating depth w/Sierra 250 Game Kings.

Have shot nothing but patterns w/the 250s so far. However Nosler Partitions show some promise.

Conclusions:

1) A 338 Win w/a 26" barrel (factory) will probably do with hot loads will probably do what a 338 RUM will do velocity wise with normal loads.

2) A 30" barrel would do wonders for the RUM.

3) Everyone else's 338 RUM will outshoot mine velocity and accuracy.

4) Unless Nosler match brass is much much better than I expect, your stuck with Remington cases which unless sorted to the nth detail are bad compared to Winchester brass.

5) Don't bank on a factory rifle shooting well. Some are very good, others are so so, and others are duds. If you get a good shootin factory rifle KEEP IT.

Recommendation:

If you want a good shootin' 338 that measureably out does the Win Mag seriously consider the following:

Send your action to one of the rifle smiths on here and get a 30" barrel 338 RUM of their barrel maker recommendation fitted. May as well get them to pillar bed it while they have it.

Doing this you will spend a bit more up front but save a bunch in powder/bullets/primers/time/brass etc in the long run. I think it pretty much evens out.

Now if you really want to reach out and touch, skip the RUM and go straight to the Edge. Search on 338 Edge. Cost will be the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Which is where this old girl is headed next year.

Just my tho'ts and experience.

Thanks Roy. I'm headed for Rexburg Thursday to drop of my daughter for college. I'm originally from Grace but moved up here in 82 for better elk hunting until the wolves got them.
I think I might go with the edge and have the extra range.
I'll get with the fellow in Post Falls and get some specs. I've researched is info and it looks good for elk as long as the weight in under 16 with scope and accessories. My heavy barrelled 300 Ultra in the Savage with scope and everything is 13 so I'll check it out.

Thanks again

Sounds good. Should be no problem keeping it under 16# w/the scope, etc. Heck, its being done with the 338AM and snip-tac /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have a 270AM on the way and if I can get some of the 195gr bullets it'll be my elk rifle also. Maybe even with the 169.5s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have a good drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to Rexburg. Don't forget the iPod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to let you know, the 338 EDGE that Shawn Carlock just built me weighs in at 15 lbs with scope. It started life as a 300WM Remington Sendero. You can see more of it by looking under the Long Range Hunting section for "Devin's new 338 EDGE"

I'm getting about 2850 fps with the 300 gr SMK out of my 30" Hart barrel. I could probably get more, but my load is giving me 1/4 moa accuracy, so I haven't bothered to change things.

Thanks Steelhead. I'll get with Shawn. That sounds like the perfect system. If you are getting 1/4 inch groups at 100 I'd leave it alone also! I live close to Night Force so I'll go see them on a new scope. I don't have a problem shooting elk with the SMK"s at long range but I do up close because of the thin jacket. I've had standard Sierra gamekings and other light jacketed bullets come apart up close on elk shoulders at high velocity so I'm skeptical because I get shots at elk during the rut from 5 yards on up and the bullet does make a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the iPod

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the kid will remember the ipod. Its the download cable that got left behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.