Scope for 7mm rem mag

Not to thread highjack but I have the same dilemma as the OP, BUT I want to take my 7 mag out to 1,000. Will the 1 inch tube nikon prostaff 5 do 1,000 with the 7 mag? I love nikon products but three of my nikon scopes are for rifles dedicated to 400 yards and under. Is the 30mm vortex that much better as far as internal adjustments? Thanks for your help.

I've taken my Browning A-bolt Medallion with BOSS in 7mm Rem Mag to 1,000 achieving MOA with a Zeiss Diavari 3-9X36 and 168 Berger VLD handloads.

It takes a good spotter more than anything else involving my equipment.

100-400 yds? My first scope on my RM was a Bushnell Scopechief 6X. Shot everything I wanted...groundhogs, deer, foxes, crows, whatever!!:D. Course, I was a lot younger and my eyes were a Hell of a lot better. Nowadays, I use a Leupold Var X iI 4X12. Shoots as far as I can see!!:)

There must be some trick to to using a scope that I don't know of. My shooting ability goes up with the power on the scope. Shoot my best groups with 24x.

I have found that when I go to ranges where I can shoot out past 300 yards there are always guys willing to help out and give you pointers. I have taken a 2-8 to 600 yards but my old eyes like 12X and higher for anything past 400. Check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to see what the ballistic's of your round will do at longrange.
I always have a ball airing my rifles out past 400 yards and I love showing skeptic's how accurate Nikon's BDC reticle truly is.

308nikobdc.png

I have a Vortex Viper HS-T on a 20 moa base on my 7RM, but that was set up with slightly longer shots in mind. It gives me enough adjustment to get out well past 1
k. My Dad has a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 on his .308, and it is very easy to get on targets out to 600yds or so with the BDC reticle and their Spot On software. It also has very good, clear glass especially for a scope that cost less than $200. If you really arent going to shoot past 400 yds, I would go with a Nikon with the BDC. If you think you might ever want to stretch out a little farther, I would get a Vortex Viper. Either the HS-T, or the HSLR.

This is a bit above the price/shooting range of the OP but I believe worth mentioning. The Vortex PST 4x16-50 MOA.

I have one of these on a different caliber. The scope is well made; clear glass, accurate reticle, the turrets track within 1% of the indicated elevation. In other words, when I dial up 10 MOA the point of impact moves almost exactly 1MOA. This isn't terribly important at the near ranges but is significant when one wants to stretch it out.

This scope has one of the easiest, in my opinion, illuminated reticle controls. It had 10 levels of brightness that is nearly instantly adjustable by the user. Real nice to have as the light changes at the end of the day or when looking into a deep shadow. I have several other higher end brands of scope that are not as user friendly in this aspect.

Lastly, The Vortex people are fantastic to work with too! Shortly after my purchase, there was a problem with the reticle illumination on the scope. I don't know if is was a manufacturing defect of if I was too stone age on it and broke it; they didn't tell me which. Gave them a call, put it in the box and sent it back. A week to the day later the scope was back on my doorstep in perfect working order. no charge. One cannot ask for more.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.