338 SIN Testing

Devin,
What length barrel is your test gun?

Devin's rifle has a 24" barrel. This is a quote of Devin from a post on "Savage Shooters" site:

"The other thread was getting so long I thought I would start another and list my data as I shot it. Had a great shoot this morning with the 225 grain cutting edge bullet .640 bc. Best accuracy out of my 24" barrel seems to be between 3100-3150 fps."

Hope Devin doesn't mind me answering for him....he's extremely busy...which is a good thing for his business.

Wayne

I had a custom 338 edge with a 30 inch barrel plus brake and my load with 300 gr smk was 2840 fps. My new custom 338 ultra with 300 gr smk is running 2760 fps with a 26 inch barrel that's only 80 fps.Punching these numbers into a ballistic calculator I don't see any real advantage to have 30 + inch barrels unless a guy is running like a 338-378 or bigger.The 24 or 26 inch barrel is going to have less barrel whip and is much more portable.I think I may even be able to run this 338 ultra around 2800 fps with the 300 gr in the 26 inch barrel with a bit more testing.I think the standard 338 ultra and the 338 sin make alot of sense.

I'll be sure to post some #'s when my rifle gets put together. My rig will have a 28" tube or there abouts. It might be a little too long for what the SIN was designed for....We'll see...but I've always got this notion that the barrels can be set back and rechambered down the line and performance should remain relatively the same. Guess it's one of my short comings.

This round is a very viable option for guys like me....with standard LA's who want near .338 LM performance. The more testing and data will shed light on how well this round really performs. I remain extremely optimistic about this new rounds potential.

Wayne

I spent hundreds of hours developing throat designs for the 338-300 RUM and testing it from 1998-2000 and rebarreled numerous rifles for guys during those years. By 2001 when the 338 RUM was introduced I had the 338-300 RUM down pat as a super long range cartridge for large big game that fit on a standard magnum action. Through extensive testing on my range the 338 RUM did everything the 338-300 RUM would do. The velocities were so close the two can not be seperated because the accuracy loads all overlap from 2750-2850 fps with 28-30 inch barrels in both. The 338 RUM fits better on a standard mag action which is why Remington shortenned it slightly. When guys shot the two side by side on my range I never got another order for a 338-300 RUM barrel. Everyone went with the cheaper standard cartridge. After all the work I had put into the 338-300 RUM for three years it was over at my shop with the introduction of the 338 RUM in 2001.

Times change and as new cartridges become available for wildcatting and new powders become available that change the parameters of existing cartridges or make new ones better you just got to go with it. It doesn't mean the others are not good and will not do the job all of a sudden. But it does change the perspective of a new guy wanting the best at the time for what he wants to accomplish with the rifle. I have a room full of wildcat cartridges that were the best I could do 20, 30, 40 years ago but with new cases coming out and new powders most I wouldn't do now. Not that they are not good, I can still kill anything with them, I can just get to the same peformance level better now with something else more efficient.

The 338 SIN will find a niche as a short barrel big 338 with plenty of punch that fits easily with bullets seated out on any standard mag action. There is just hardly any difference performance wise from the 340 Weatherby through the RUM's and into the standard Lapua. The 338 SIN fits right in there. My accuracy load with a 300 smk is 2735 fps with my 28" barrel 340 Weatherby, 2830 fps with my 28" barrel 338-300 RUM, 2730 fps with my 26" barrel 338 RUM and 2820 fps with my 26" barrel 338 Lapua. I have pushed the 300 grain smk over 2700 fps with my 24" barrel 338 SIN. There is just not a lot of difference between any of these.

I shot some great groups over the weekend with the 338 SIN using my accuracy loads with H-414 powder pushing the 185 Barnes ttsx over 3500 fps. Re-19 is still doing very well with the 225 Cutting Edge bullets around 3160 fps with low velocity spreads. I shot some 4" groups at 600 yards with these loads which is great for a lightweight 24" barrel rifle. I am using one of these loads for caribou in August. Just can't decide which one yet.

Last edited:
LTLR,

What rifle/action, barrel, and stock are you using for this 338 Sin test? I'm wondering if I could take a 338 Tikka and get it reamed to chamber the Sin? This would seem to be a very affordable, and lightweight way to get a "big" 338 mag. Recoil would be my main concern.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Jason

JUST SOME INTERESTING NUMBERS...

Yes!! I meant Barnes not Berger.... I was seriously falling asleep

2e562p2.jpg

Choices, choices.... It's all fun!

Last edited:
Eaglet, If you are gearing up to shoot elk at 1000 yards and beyond the 185 Barnes ttsx is not the bullet you need to work with. It is not designed for that purpose. If you are hunting inside of 800 yards with a light rifle wanting low recoil it makes a good choice for many types of game. I took quite a bit of game with it last year to just under 800 yards with a 6 3/8 pound 338 winchester at 3220 fps. Recoil was not noticable. All one shot kills and complete pass throughs. From the performance I saw last year I would not hesitate to shoot anything with it out to 800 yards out of a 338 winchester. The 338 SIN is 300 fps faster.

Is .432 the BC you came up with shooting the 185 ttsx? My testing of that bullet is not showing that number to be accurate.

The best bullet to 1000 yards I have found is the 225 Cutting Edge bullet I am testing now. 1000 yard drops out of my 338-378 are showing between a .65 and .66 bc. Run the numbers on that with my 338 SIN accuracy load of 3160 fps and see how it looks compared to the 300 SMK. It is shooting very accurate with light recoil I can stand in the 6 1/4 pound rifle. The 300 grainers are not tolerable so I look for the best bullet fit within the range this light rifle is most capable. If I am shooting elk over 1000 yards I have some heavy rifles to do that with. A heavy rifle 338 SIN is capable of elk kills beyond 1000 yards but my 6 1/4 pound rifle is not a 1000 yard plus rifle so I am not looking at ballistics out that far. I am looking for the best killing performance within the range limits of this rifle with recoil that is tolerable.

Hope this explains why I test many different bullets for different purposes. The 225 CE bullet is the closest thing I have found so far to a one bullet do all for hunting at all practical ranges. It does really well to 1000 yards where I have tested it and that is about as far as anyone would ever shoot to kill stuff unless they were shooting specialty rigs specifically designed for the purpose. Now for the killing part of the testing next month.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts