338 SIN Testing

I'm a SINNER and on the CUTTING EDGE its all LTLR fault. Mine is a Tikka T3 in 338Sin shooting 225 Cutting Edge Bulets. Come join the Sinner clan!!!!

I think you will like shooting that little honey if it shoots like mine.

I brought it out to 1000 yards this morning just to see what I could do with a 6 3/8 pound rifle that far. I bumped the H-4350 load up to 85.7 grains and coal of 3.92". It shot a five shot average of 3172 fps with nine fps spread. This is going to be my Alaska load. This is the fastest load I have shot accurately so I am sticking with it. It shot a 10.62" group at 1000 yards which I thought was excellent for a light rifle. This is my backpack special and was hoping for a top 800 yard rifle. After this morning I think I can get it good for 1000 yard elk. I tested it at 600 yards first and shot a 4.87" group there.

The more I shoot the Tikka's the more I like them. Every one I have ever seen shot great. Right now I have tack drivers in 300 wsm, 300 winchester, 338 winchester and 338 SIN. All shoot exceptional groups and make me wonder why I ever would carry a ten pound rifle hunting again. 99% of my shots are under 900 yards and all these will get it done to that range.

LTLR, that's sounding like an elk hunters dream rifle!! I was wondering on the COAL though, originally it was looking like the 338 Sin would run around a 3.5 COAL for standard actions but it looks like your well past that, is this due to the CE bullets? Will loading a 225 TTSX or Accubond put you back under the 3.6 COAL that will fit better in standard long actions?

Bigngreen, that is exactly it. The CE bullets are extremely long, sleek, beautiful bullets. They also recomend loading them shallow and with standard chambers and throats that is the case. There is a band on the bullet you load them to. With wby freebore rifles they want to be seated deep though.

I have shot the SIN with Barnes and the 225 nab's. They seat normal and will easily feed through the Tikka action. The case is about the same as a 338 winchester so you can see normal bullets do fine in it. But with the success I am having so far with the CE bullets I am making a single shot long range rifle out of it and have some 225 nab's loaded that feed well in the magazine. That way if I need some quick close range shots I will have them. Grizz happens in Alaska and here in WY.

The magazine walls in the Tikka have got to be sanded slightly at the base of the cartridge for the SIN to feed properly. I am talking a few seconds with a fine grit paper. It will feed as is but way better with just a slight amount of plastic removed from the Tikka magazine.

As most of you know Long time long ranger is up in Alaska shooting Caribou with the 338 Sin and 225gr Cutting Edge bullets. I got a call from him the other night letting me know how the 338 Sin and CE bullets were performing. His first shot was at ~883 yards, hit the Caribou in the shoulders and blew out of the back side with an exit hole ~1.25", no bullet was recovered, Caribou had no chance of moving. Next shot was in the mid 500 yards with the exact same result, no bullet recovered either. Don is happy with the cartridge, bullet, and ~7lbs scoped rifle. He will be able to tell more when he gets back.

Hi Guys
Been following the 338 SIN here from South Africa for the last week and had a lot to catch up. As mentioned to Devin, we are not as blessed as you guys when it comes to rifles and cost and we realy have to do a lot of homework before buying. I'm in the market for a 338 bean-field/varmint/1000 yrd rifle and the 338 Sin makes all the sense in the world currently. Just have to get around getting one here in South Africa if I'm allowed.
Just as a point of interest and please I have no gain in promoting the product and only do with the aim of possibly providing you with an extra dimension to the development of the round. Have you guys ever heard about the GS Custom bullets here in South Africa. They utilize a "drive band" which produces much less barrel wear and much higher velocities at lower pressures. Sure it can be a great advantage to you guys. Hopefully can give you guys some feedback one day on my test with the SIN and them.
Blessings

Got in about 4 am this morning. Had a great time and got some Booner bulls. I will get some pictures up later and how the cartidge and bullets peformed. It was amazing carrying that much power in a rifle a little over 7 pounds scoped. With the 225 grain cutting edge bullets the 338 SIN is quite amazing as a half mile rifle. I am switching to the cutting edge bullets in .308 and .338 calibers. Amazing accuracy, and high BC in a bullet that performs just like the Barnes TTSX on game. All animals were one shot and down. I shot the max 225 grain bullet (will get the number later) and the C21 180 grain 30 caliber. Both were outstanding in Alaska.

Got in about 4 am this morning. Had a great time and got some Booner bulls. I will get some pictures up later and how the cartidge and bullets peformed. It was amazing carrying that much power in a rifle a little over 7 pounds scoped. With the 225 grain cutting edge bullets the 338 SIN is quite amazing as a half mile rifle. I am switching to the cutting edge bullets in .308 and .338 calibers. Amazing accuracy, and high BC in a bullet that performs just like the Barnes TTSX on game. All animals were one shot and down. I shot the max 225 grain bullet (will get the number later) and the C21 180 grain 30 caliber. Both were outstanding in Alaska.

Can't wait to see pictures and hear more of your success. Glad you made it home safe....thanks for keeping us posted.

Wayne

OK I received my rifle back from Sin Arms. Turn around time was pretty reasonable. I did 40 loads of fireforming brass: a 225 Hornady and a book minimum 330 dakota load.

Next i followed some reported loads on this forum. I was not able to achieve 3150 with the stated rl`19 load of 85-86 grains. In my M70 I had 3070 as the maximum achievable in with RL-19 and that was with 86 grains I usually am willing to push the envelope a bit, but I drew the line on pressure signs here.

The M70 has a 24" barrel and is MagnaPorted.

I will try a few more powders. 3050 is really good, but 3150 is even better!I

I have until November to dial in this elk load. I own a 338 Lapua, but this is the gun I want to hunt with!! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.