338 Sin

If we have a Rem 700 or comparable action length/strength, this might be a good time to list the advantages & disadvantages of the 338Sin vs 338 Norma. They both look very good.

If we have a Rem 700 or comparable action length/strength, this might be a good time to list the advantages & disadvantages of the 338Sin vs 338 Norma. They both look very good.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that very question. I would be curious as well...but I'm going with the Sin....because the .545" rim is in my comfort zone compared to the .588 of the Norma...with respect to opening up my factory bolt face.

Perhaps Devin or someone else here could shed light on this excellent question.

Wayne

The thread relates specific to modify standard actions. I know they do the Norma, but I WAS advised by 2 smiths not to go that route. The smaller bolt face will also handle 3 in most mags instead of 2 for Norma. Ballistically I THINK they both will make elk just as dead. Norma has good factory brass and dies and ammo. There was suppose to me a remington switch barrel avaliable in 300 win,338 norma

The thread relates specific to modify standard actions. I know they do the Norma, but I WAS advised by 2 smiths not to go that route. The smaller bolt face will also handle 3 in most mags instead of 2 for Norma. Ballistically I THINK they both will make elk just as dead. Norma has good factory brass and dies and ammo. There was suppose to me a remington switch barrel avaliable in 300 win,338 norma

Don't know if you realize...the .338 Sin is based on the .330 Dakota, which is a Norma case...but with an " Improved shoulder." The sin has a .545" rim versus the Norma Mag's .588" rim which makes me feel more comfortable with modifying my factory bolt face. I simply know it easily fits in my Remington magazine....I have to change the follower to the "Magnum" version...but it will easily fit. The .338 Sin starts with the 330 Dakota brass as the parent case.........which is made by Norma.

I would recommend contacting Devin, Sinarms...Sinman...with any specific questions. After seeing this round....and seeing how it fits in my stock Remington mag....I'm sold!

Wayne

Last edited:
Yes, originally the 338 Sin was based off the Rum case, I have since moved to using only the 330 Dakota brass as the brass is way better than the remington as it is made by Norma for Dakota Arms. The Price on the brass is pretty decent too, especially compared to the 338 Lapua.

The Lapua and Norma can be made on the 700 action and has been done many times. I think (as do other smiths) think that the 700 and comparable actions are pretty much maxed out with the rum case. The Norma, Sin, Edge, Lapua, Rum are all pretty much ballistic twins. If you want to argue 100fps here and there thats fine but in the real world each of them will do what the other can and we all know that the accuracy load for each rifle will be different than the next so a 338 Lapua could out perform the Sin in one rifle but in the next it might like slower loads and the Sin like hotter loads.

Is the Sin for everyone? No. Is the Norma, Lapua, Edge, Rum, ect for everyone? No. I have built a ton of rifles/barrels for guys in the 338-300rum (edge) and I know 75% of them will never use them past 700 yards on Deer size game. A 7mm WSM would do the same thing for them as the 338-300 rum is but with less powder and cheaper (usually) bullets. The first thing you need to do is actually know if you want a 338 cal rifle of this magnitude. Once you figure out if you do or not then you need to know what your budget is. Can you spend $8g's on a rifle? or are you limited to $1200? Do you want a repeater? Do you want to form cases? Do you want to use remington/nosler brass? Do you want Norma/Lapua Brass? Do you want a round that is capable of being built in a rifle that weighs <7lbs and work with a short barrel?

The 338 Sin is designed to be used on any action with little to no work needed to be done except for a rebarrel (or just a rechamber). Can you grab a used Ruger mkII in 300win mag and throw a new barrel on it and use the 338 Lapua or Norma? No. But you can build a 338 Sin. If you have a long Magnum action either custom or say a CZ are you going to build a 338 Sin? probably not, you will probably be building a Lapua, Norma, or Allen Mag.

There are hundreds of more questions to be asked but I think you guys get the point. Is it for everyone? no but it will be for some.

Yes, originally the 338 Sin was based off the Rum case, I have since moved to using only the 330 Dakota brass as the brass is way better than the remington as it is made by Norma for Dakota Arms. The Price on the brass is pretty decent too, especially compared to the 338 Lapua.

The Lapua and Norma can be made on the 700 action and has been done many times. I think (as do other smiths) think that the 700 and comparable actions are pretty much maxed out with the rum case. The Norma, Sin, Edge, Lapua, Rum are all pretty much ballistic twins. If you want to argue 100fps here and there thats fine but in the real world each of them will do what the other can and we all know that the accuracy load for each rifle will be different than the next so a 338 Lapua could out perform the Sin in one rifle but in the next it might like slower loads and the Sin like hotter loads.

Is the Sin for everyone? No. Is the Norma, Lapua, Edge, Rum, ect for everyone? No. I have built a ton of rifles/barrels for guys in the 338-300rum (edge) and I know 75% of them will never use them past 700 yards on Deer size game. A 7mm WSM would do the same thing for them as the 338-300 rum is but with less powder and cheaper (usually) bullets. The first thing you need to do is actually know if you want a 338 cal rifle of this magnitude. Once you figure out if you do or not then you need to know what your budget is. Can you spend $8g's on a rifle? or are you limited to $1200? Do you want a repeater? Do you want to form cases? Do you want to use remington/nosler brass? Do you want Norma/Lapua Brass? Do you want a round that is capable of being built in a rifle that weighs <7lbs and work with a short barrel?

The 338 Sin is designed to be used on any action with little to no work needed to be done except for a rebarrel (or just a rechamber). Can you grab a used Ruger mkII in 300win mag and throw a new barrel on it and use the 338 Lapua or Norma? No. But you can build a 338 Sin. If you have a long Magnum action either custom or say a CZ are you going to build a 338 Sin? probably not, you will probably be building a Lapua, Norma, or Allen Mag.

There are hundreds of more questions to be asked but I think you guys get the point. Is it for everyone? no but it will be for some.

Thanks Devin......there are many rounds out there that aren't for everyone. If a guy is looking for a .338 cal. round in a standard long action....your round is right at the top of the list...as far as I'm concerned. If guys can swing a custom magnum long action...then there are even more options.

I'm just happy you developed the .338 Sin....can't wait to get my rifle converted...and up and running. I'm completely sold after seeing your round in person!

Wayne

That is what I was trying to say in short, 338 sin is easier to modify, And as I found,338 norma not always recommended , because of larger bolt face. Think the Sin is a great idea.

This thread has been very interesting and informative. I now am torn between building a 338 Sin or an Edge. But... I am a Savage man, so it sounds like the Sin might be the better choice, due to mag length my donor rifle either way, would be a 7mm Rem Mag. The repeater option would definitely be a plus, but not major requirement.

I finally got to go to shooting range because it has been closed for over a month. Still working up loads I am at 3000 with magpro and a 250gr bullet and I think o have about 5grs more case capacity left. I hope to get out again early this next week.

I just returned from vacation and will be shooting quite a few loads this week out of my 24" barrel. Will post them as I shoot them. Have quite a few of the 225 cutting edge bullets loaded. I think this will be a very good bullet for this rifle. A .64 bc over 3200 fps is nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.