338 Sin

I know you had some flooding problems and such, but any word on further load development?

Hope you didn't loose to much of your stuff. Flooding is a devastating event, only those that have gone through can understand.

Just got a chance to shoot, the snow and rain finally stopped at about noon today. Shot some 300gr SMK's with magpro powder. No where near a max load and I got 2742fps out of it. Need to load up some more but from what I have seen with this case so far we should get about 2850fps out of the 338 Sin with a 300 gr bullet. More load development will be done soon but I will concentrate more on the 200-250gr bullets as that is what I designed this for.

Also a Tikka T3 light in 338 Win mag can be rechambered to 338 Sin, but you defiantly know you are shooting something when the rifle weighs in at 6lbs 2oz. I would suggest getting a Savage, Howa, Ruger, ect that is not so very light if you want to rechamber the rifle. Any questions feel free to ask, Don will have his T3 this next week and he has a ton of rounds loaded up. Also I will be sending another barrel out for testing by another member. This next month we should have a lot more info on the Sin.

Also I just completed designs for the 300 Sin, 7mm Sin, and the 6.5mm Sin (yes that is correct haha)

I'm going to go broke buying barrels in these new calibers to test. I think all of them will do well. Looking forward to testing the Tikka. I agree the 300 grainers are probably a little much for a 6 pound rifle. Ordering some 225 and 252 CE bullets to test in it also. Right now I have 185, 225, 250, 265 and 300 grainers loaded with several different powders.

I guess I will have to get another Savage Donor rifle to convert to the 338 sin. I have my 7 MM STW that covers the 7mm Sin but I might be interested in the 6.5 Sin, would be devastating on pigs.

I think I have asked Sin Man before but what would a sporter magnum taper 27" long, 257 Weatherby barrel cost to my door at 77493 zip?

A lot of people told me I should just build a 330 Dakota, well yes that would of been an easy way of doing it but this round has a big improvement over the 330 Dakota. Here is a picture of fire formed brass. Original is 330 Dakota and then formed 330 Dakota in a 338 Sin chamber. This brass is top notch, way better then the remington brass and a lot less work too.

IMAG0165.jpg

A lot of people told me I should just build a 330 Dakota, well yes that would of been an easy way of doing it but this round has a big improvement over the 330 Dakota. Here is a picture of fire formed brass. Original is 330 Dakota and then formed 330 Dakota in a 338 Sin chamber. This brass is top notch, way better then the remington brass and a lot less work too.

IMAG0165.jpg

what is case capacity compared to a 338 win? Thanks.

Last edited:
I shot the Sin again today, started working up accuracy loads, I was wondering why I wasn't getting a group better than 2" then all of a sudden I was shooting and way off paper. I look at my scope and see that the rear dove tail was sheared off. Time to go with better rings and bases before I can test accuracy.

I shot the Sin again today, started working up accuracy loads, I was wondering why I wasn't getting a group better than 2" then all of a sudden I was shooting and way off paper. I look at my scope and see that the rear dove tail was sheared off. Time to go with better rings and bases before I can test accuracy.

What kind of scope are you running?

I don't have a set of bases, but I have some TPS TSR 30mm low's or Burris XTR 1" lows I could send your way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.