.338 Puta Question

LayinItDown

Finally got my .338 Puta ordered and I'm hoping for some load data. The gun won't be here till April, but for now I've got Reloader 25, Fed. 215 primers and Norma brass. Gonna start loads with the Berger 300 grainer and see how it goes. Also thinking of the 250 accubond. This gun is strickly for hunting. Any info would be helpful. Info on Berger Hybrid performance on game would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

You will get a lot of different opinions on this. Here is my personal opinion...

If it is going to be used stritcly for hunting, then use a bullet made for hunting. Nosler Accubond, Barnes X bullets are the two that come to mind. Bergers and SMK are top notch bullets, but I wouldnt hunt with them. Again, my opinion. I had great success with the 265gr Barnes Lapua bullet.

I just published some load data for the 338RUM with velocities. I was very impressed with accuracy and consistancy of the powder.

Just curious.
What is a "Puta" based on ? I have not heard of this one.

Never to old to learn.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry, "Puta" is what I call the Lapua.

Ya, I've seen the 265 Barnes bullets, but not a fan of Barnes. I am however a big fan of Nosler. I hadn't heard they were coming out with a 300 accubond. That's exciting. Although the 250 may be more than enough.

I've never taken an animal with a berger bullet. But after punching the numbers on this new Hybrid, I had to buy 50 to try. May just end up using them on gophers.........

Halfbreeds from "Montucky" like Layinitdown have a language all their own!! :D Did that term come from your gunsmith-neighbor??....

Merry Christmas Mike!!!!!

I agree, use a hunting bullet. I am shooting the 225 grain cutting edge bullet .64 bc at around 3300 fps out of my 26" barrel 338 Lapua. I now use that bullet in all my big 338's. I rarely shoot over 1000 yards and haven't shot an animal over 1200 yards in a long time so I have no need for the heavy 300 grainers. The 225 is a better choice if most of your shots are inside 1000 yards. And the main point is that it is a hunting bullet and not a fragile target design. Always remember this is long range hunting and the point is to kill the animal with one shot. Not just to hit it with great ballistics and maybe wound it.

Also the cutting edge 252 grain at .72 bc is an excellent choice. Particularly if your rifle is under 15 pounds and do not want the snot knocked out of you. You can shoot way better at long range as the recoil is reduced. Since this is a hunting rifle the cost of the cutting edge are well worth it. For a target rifle the cheaper bullets may make sense.

Last edited:
"Montucky"........ and proud!! Don't be offended by "Puta", that's the way I like um..... Came up with that one at camp. Trying to teach the neighbor the correct lingo for Lapua. lol..

I'll check out the cutting edge bullets. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.