338 edge question

michael A.

hi
has anyone ever had a problem when reloading a 338 edge to have a realy bad runout i can roll my rounds across the tabe and the tip of the bullet moves up and down about a 1/16 of an inch any ideas
thanks

Is this new brass or has it been fired before?

Ceck the brass before you size it, and again after you size it, but before you seat the bullet. Is the runnout preasent? If it is as bad as you say, you will see it. You probably have a bad sizing die, a bad seating die, or both:eek:. 1/16 runnout is HORRABLE. Any runnout is bad, but 1/16":eek::eek:.

Hope this helps
Let us know
THANKS,
TOD

thanx tod tooks like a bad resizing die i dont see it in the new brass untill i resize it i dont have a concentricity gauge but i can see it when i roll it across the table this is the secont set of dies that i have had i will try for set number 3

thanks michael A.

Question.....Are you FL sizing or neck sizing? Is there a reason, other than to iron out the bent up necks from the factory, to size the brass?? If not, I would NECK SIZE ONLY. I have never used an Edge, so I don't know all of the steps in forming the brass. I assume:)eek:) that you are simply necking up 300RUM cases to .338, and everything else happens during fireforming.

I HATE FL sizing anything I don't absolutely have to!!! I have seen this before, but only with FL dies. I have never seen it with a good Neck die with the different size bushings used to adjust neck tension.

GOOD LUCK
TOD

i would bet the runout is caused when you push the necks out to 338 dia. i'm gonna disagree with 4X and say that FL sizing would probably make straighter cases unless you're pulling an expander ball back through the neck. with that scenario, it's possible to get some runout, but again, no where near what you're referring to. neither style of sizing should give you anything remotely close to what you're getting. your extreme runout is caused when you push the necks out causing the shoulder to cave in a bit which makes the neck very crooked.

Last edited:
decapping assemblie

Hi remove the decaping assemblie and size a case a second time. if the decaping rod is bent it will drag them of to a side. you can have your dies reamed to an exactbsize so the expansder can be removed.

Give it a try. then just use a mandrel to neck up they are more accurate Sinclairs has them.

Cheers Bill
Australia

hi guys thanks for all your help but still crooked i pulled the decaping pin out and resized the case agian and then put a bullet in it and it doesnt look like it made any diffrence yes i am FL resizing them i would like to neck size them but i am not sure if i can with changing the neck size it doesnt look lik my decaping pin is bent i rolled it across the table also
thanks
michael A

I have found it is not uncommom to get .020 bullet runout when necking brass up or down. At .020 you can see the bullet wobble when you roll the case across a table. You might be surprised to see how well they will shoot like that.

when i form my edge brass you first have to go from 30 to 338 caliber. i do this in 2 steps, the first is run it down over a 308 caliber tappered mandrel to "round" up the necks and it also pushes them out a bit. then i run them over a 338 mandrel. at this point some are very crooked, so much so that you can see it with the naked eye. i simply run them through my FL die, which is custom made by Forster with a 362 neck. they all come out very straight. can you run us through what you do to the brass in a step by step manor so we might get a better feel for what you're doing. my thoughts are if you run brass into a die without an expanding button, and i don't care if it's neck or FL, and it's coming out anywhere near as crooked as you're talking, you've got major problems with the die. again, please tell us all of your forming steps.

ok guys i start with rem 300 ultra brass and run it through a FL resizer with a tappered 30to338 expander ball but before i do that i lube the out side of the case with gun oil and the inside of the neck with graphite

thanks for all the help

michael A

i think you'll get much better results if you get the right tools for the job. the decapping pin/rod/expander button is not meant to form necks with. i'm a little surprised you haven't bent it by now. Sinclare makes a tool that screws into a standard 7/8 threaded press that holds expanding mandrels for making necks perfectly round and can be used for other functions as well. you can get any size mandrel with them. 6, 7, 308, 338, you get the idea.this is excellent tool to make the necks perfect on any new brass. just go ahead and buy all the sizes that you shoot. for the edge, use the 308 first and then the 338. the other recommendation i would give is to use a different lubricant. there are several. i use imperial sizing wax. it's been around for a long time and i'm not sure anything works better. you can get it at Sinclares also. i don't think forming brass is what's meant for the lubes you're currently using.

davewilson

is speaking the truth with absolute facts and Our mutual, 50+ years each, experiences. Follow his good advice.
ps I grew up in the Poconos
Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.