338 Edge Die Question

That is sooooooooo not right....... Mine measure .360" top to bottom. I don't know the dies your using but either your expander has lousy taper or your lube aint cutting it. I have done this allot and have never sean that. Do the dies your using have a smooth tapered expander? I don't use lee dies so I don't know them. I have seen Rcbs and redding expanders that were not tapered very well for this type of operation.

Was typing during your last response. Hornady sizing dies work great and There seating die is sleaved and can except an add on micrometer top for $25 if desired.

So, initially when setting up the die to expand the neck do you loosen the top nut so the expander lowers further down in the die?

The expander should hang down toward the bottom of the die but still inside the die as usual. Just need to be sure you are sizing inside of the neck on the way up outside at the top of the stroke and inside again on the way out like normal.

When I was thinking about an edge I talked to die maker, I think he was in Iowa said he could take my 300 ultra FL sizer die and ream the neck install a 338 bushing and expander turn it into an edge..and he was very reasonable on price....wish I could remember his name..

Sounds like you need more or better lube.

A touch of imperial sizing wax is all I've ever had to use. It works so good that it's easy to make 308 brass out of 30-06 brass.

You'd set up the 375 die just like any other FL die. Take out the expander stem, then screw the die in until it touches the shell holder with the arm at full stroke.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.