338 for elk hunting- Build a lightweight rifle

I've got the same rifle. It's 7.1 lbs without the scope. Weighs a little over 10lbs with a NF ATACR, and that scope balances the rifle out very well. I used it on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt 2 years ago. 7 hour hike in uphill the whole way. The rifle was NOT too heavy. I shoot the 213 gr Hammer Hunter. Recoil is less than my unbraked 30-06. Velocity is 3250 fps. Very accurate. Made quick work of the mountain goat.
So, this might be a type of setup you're looking for.
I have to know, why would you pack a 338 lapua up a mountain to kill a sheep? No judgement, I just don't understand.

I have to know, why would you pack a 338 lapua up a mountain to kill a sheep? No judgement, I just don't understand.
We were in Grizzly country, so you wanted something big just in case. Second, my outfitter told me to bring the biggest caliber I was comfortable with. He said goats suck up a lot of lead and you want to pole axe the mountain goat on the first shot because they tend to run off the side of cliffs if you don't. It was one and done for me and I had to put the shot through his shoulder. My guide carried a 325 WSM.

I've used a Carbon Fiber Christensen Mountain rifle in 338 Lapua to take this Elk in Wyoming and I'm glad to have a light rifle when chasing these animals ....
Now we have so many companies such as APA, Beast Brakes making a really good muzzle brakes that will tame the recoil.
Good luck....

Attachments

• AB1F4BD2-5E38-48D6-9070-84C20E51EA12.jpeg
    AB1F4BD2-5E38-48D6-9070-84C20E51EA12.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?
I have a 338 laupa Improved it is really accurate fun to shoot. I load 106 gr of reloaded 33 behind a 300 gr Bullet. The rifle has a 30 Broughton barrel with a 9.3 twist with that load I get 3200 fps. You can Easy make killing shots out past 1500 yds . With that said it is not fun to carry. For years I hunted with a 338 win mag it has a 24 inch barrel and weights 9 lbs I killed over 25 elk and lots deer two moose and some antelope. The last years I hunted with it put a muzzle brake on for a lot less recoil. I shot lot of the elk over 400 yds and one over a 1000 yds. If was starting over with all the improvements of today Barrels Bullets optics. I would go with a 7 lb rifle with scope in a 6.5 or 7mm with some good Bullets. It would be a lot easier to carry and you would get just as much game. After you get older You finally realize it's better to work smarter than harder
I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

I have a Weatherby AccuMark in .338/.378 Weatherby that, while no "lightweight", is far lighter than your current rifle with a very similar cartridge. It has a factory brake. It is as pleasant to shoot as my .270WSM. However, it is LOUD!

Nice work on the elk!
Man I've been down this road before with a 9.5lb scoped 338 RUM.
It took everything I had to shoot that thing accurately, and tracking my shots was a fools errand.

There really isn't any need for a 338 when there are such awesome 30 cal bullets out there.
I'd look at a 30 nosler or 300 norma, the ballistics on a 245 or 230 Berger will keep up just fine with a 338 and kill anything with 4 legs.
I have a 338 Win Mag model 70 with a factory break. Recoil is about like a 243. We don't have an elk season yet in NC but maybe in a few more years. I have no doubt it would be effective to 400 or 500 yards with Barnes ttsx.

If you want to lose weight, you could go to a carbon barrel from proof/Christensen. That'll drop a pound or two at least. I would never personally go any lighter than 12 or so pounds on a 338 lapua. Even though I can take the recoil, I'd develop a flinch and wouldn't be able to shoot accurately.
After shooting a couple of well braked rifles when I shot my nonbraked 7rm it jumped about out of my hands. If you can stand the noise you can go light🤠 but you'll put the weight back on in a different place so all within good reason. Have you thought about putting the money toward better physical condition and live with the extra three pounds?

After shooting a couple of well braked rifles when I shot my nonbraked 7rm it jumped about out of my hands. If you can stand the noise you can go light🤠 but you'll put the weight back on in a different place so all within good reason. Have you thought about putting the money toward better physical condition and live with the extra three pounds?
I'm in shape. Lol. Just returned from wyoming, 4.5 days of hunting and hiked 32 miles. Last day of hunting 5 of us got 3 adult cow elk out 3 miles on our backs in 1 trip. Conditioning isn't the issue. :)

I'd have to disagree. Elk are big animals with long hair. Regardless of how far away they are or how deadly a cartridge is, finding a **** elk can be a problem.

That's where the 338 shines. Better blood trail is important. You can kill elk with a variety of cartridges but finding them is a whole different story.
I'm a poor tracker so if I'm ever hunting elk it's from the porch of the lodge with my 416 Barrett no tracking required 😉

I hunted with a 7lb scoped .340wby for many years. But i wouldnt consider it a long range rifle. I practiced with it to 850 but longest shot i took was just over 500. For Elk hunting it was perfect.

The CA MPR 338LM weighs in bare, at 8.5 pounds. They have other carbon fiber wrapped barrel models that might come in even lighter. They guarantee sub-MOA accuracy, and deliver. But for Elk, wouldn't the 338 Win Mag be just as reliable out to the 600 with a 225gr or 250gr premium bullet? I've achieved 2675fps with old school Barnes-X bullets with no pressure signs, using RL19. I load for both 33's. The Lapua is pretty special, but still heavy, and a little more finicky to handload for, yet 2700fps is easily reached with 300gr Accubonds.

Recent Posts