338 Edge draws first blood.

Eaglet,
Not a problem. In fact I gained a friend with the sale of the rifle.,
and am glad he is happy with it.

Good shooting RH300UM! Got to love those long shots. By the way, I grew up in Wellsville. We probably share the same stomping grounds. I went to Skyview High School when I wasn't hunting geese in the riverbottoms behind your house. :D

Since my horse ran off with the rifle hung vertically from the horn and attached at the cinch ring I'm a bit hesitant about attaching anything to a horse.:rolleyes:

Nice chinks!

Interesting bullet penetration path on that deer.....

You gotta be feeling pretty good about things......

Did I hear you say "you loved that rifle?":)

I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Looks like a fantastic first season for your edge! You gotta love it when things all come together! I well remember the excitement I fealt over my first long range kills, when all the work started paying off.

Those "mistakes" add spice to the memory and reality to the story. Never mind the couldn't / shouldn't crowd, life aint a video. Well done.

Who made your scabbard? Would you post pics?

Did you shoot prone off that tall bipod? Musta been steep.

That critter you're sittin on looks like it's got a smooth gait. What is it?

Last edited:
We have the scabbards made localy by a freind. This system has been modified over the years and works nicely. Our group all shoot long range guns and we like it.

My horse is quater shire with some mustang and standard bred also. He is 16.5 hands tall and 4 years old. He is one tough SOB. He takes good care of me. He has been to HELL and back many times. He never quits. Lot of courage and heart.

Yes Roy, I LOVE THIS RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remington 700 action--- Accurized
Rock Creek barrel -- 30 inches-1in 9.25 twist
Defensive Edge muzzle brake
H.S. Precision stock with action beded
Nightforce NSX5.5x22x50mm with zero stop
Nightforce base with 20m.o.a.
Nightforce ultralite rings
Defensive Edge level/cosine indiator combo
Harris bipod
Brownells Laigo sling

Remington300 ultra brass
Sierra 330gr. SMK
Hodgdon H-1000 powder 97.4 gr 2830 fps
Fedral215m primers

My horse is quater shire with some mustang and standard bred also. He is 16.5 hands tall and 4 years old. He is one tough SOB. He takes good care of me. He has been to HELL and back many times. He never quits. Lot of courage and heart.

I can see a bit of standard bred. After you mention it the good bones must be the shire part. But holey cow, I would have guess mostly just a darn good mustang. 16.5 hands???? Looks almost like a pony under ya! No wonder you have a sling on that Edge it must look like a BB gun in your hands. Sheese, thar might be giants out there?:)

Oh, and did I hear you say you love that rifle????:) And a horse you can trust! To heck with that thou shalt not covet stuff.:):)

It has the Sendero contour

It wieghs 15.5 pounds.

We have found over the years that draft cross in our horses works for our needs. Tough skinned. Big boned. Even headed for the most part. They love to work.

No giants around here except maybe the horses.

One thing Robert did not mention, he got his deer at the first of the week and stayed for the last part to help me try and locate a buck to shoot. When he says he put up camp he is not kidding! It really is the next best thing to being at home, comfort wise. He got his deer on the 20th and had been up there since around the 1st of October, and still had to pack up camp and get out. Packing up camp is no quick thing either. He makes hunting season fun and enjoyable for all. My girls even like going to Elk/Deer camp to hang our with their Uncle and Aunt when ever they can.

Robert,
Your horse sounds like a gem. I have one I feel much the same way about. Mine is a quarter - saddlebred. Absolutely phenomenal mountain horse. 4 wheel drive, posi rear end, turbo, courage, heart, willingness, and claws........Whatever it is, I know he'll do it. And gaited to boot. Smoother than pudding. Maybe a man only gets one really fine woman, one really fine horse....this one's mine.
What caught my attention was your horses conformation. Couldn't figure it. I'm intrigued. I'd love to hear more about 'em.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.