338 EDGE @3146 with 300 Berger

Hey guys, since this is the Shawn and Jeff show and they are only ones that can build rifles. I am out. Please feel free to call or text with any questions. 9two8-3zero8-8093

Hey guys, since this is the Shawn and Jeff show and they are only ones that can build rifles. I am out. Please feel free to call or text with any questions. 9two8-3zero8-8093

What? Where did that come from. Because I was curious as to your velocity, asked some questions and offered some of my data.

Oh, and thanks for the invite to shoot in "my spot out in the woods" but I think I am going to be too busy with hunting season and all.

Wow, sorry man. Have a great day.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Hopefully you aren't going to run away.... I don't doubt your fps numbers.. But I sure believe that your extreme FPS has less to do with your barrel maker then it does with your chamber and throat... Kurby ( the king of speed) wrote that with his modified throat design he could average just about 100fps faster then the standard chamberings... Shawns plus P does this also....You have a gun that kicks *** and people are trying to figure out how or why... I asked you if you had the reamer print or could get it and you ignored the question.....I believe your numbers. You have invited anyone over to see. Dave

Re: 338 EDGE @+3,300 with 300 Berger

Doubting the numbers would be the most normal response. Others that make their living building many .338 rifles, and brainstorming techniques to safely maximize MV, aren't able to touch these reported MVs. The unusual response from the experienced would be to not doubt. So much so that it wouldn't surprise me that one of our gunsmith members would offer to purchase this rifle at a premium in order to research the source of the extra velocity, IF and AFTER, they were first allowed to satisfy their doubts that these MVs are indeed real, and produced with both acceptable accuracy and safe operating pressures. Nothing wrong with advancing the science, materials, and methods, by studying the exceptional. Even if exceptional is the result of happenstance.

Having stated that, there's a big difference between alleging someone is purposely and knowingly misrepresenting their MV, and doubting exceptionally high reported MVs.

I'm in the "show me" camp too. But the OP doesn't owe me a thing.

Not to worry. IF these MVs are real, then shy of being an unexplainable freak of nature, someone - somewhere - will build and sell .338 Edges that consistently yield 3,300 fps MV with 300gr Bergers. And then we'll be content..., up until the moment someone reports MV at 3,600 fps!!. :D

I had a very nice lengthy conversation with Mr. Pedersen today owner of CBW. What a great man to talk with, and very meticulous and well versed in what he does. We talked in length about possibilities for what could result in velocity gains that are being seen here. He does hold some very tight tolerances (min. spec) and has some very good processes to produce a high quality barrel. So much that I plan to order one. He also has done some reduced land height rifling he refers to as "shadow rifling" and has been doing it for some time. We also talked about the possible adverse effects of this process as well as the velocity gains. But the barrel in question in this thread had NO special rifling or chambering other than the longer throat length to seat the bullet out farther. But this barrel was indeed held to CBW's very tight spec and could very well be at .3382" all the way through. Quality machine work for sure. But we agreed nothing that would cause the kind of velocity gains that are being seen in this thread or nothing that would lead us to believe that anything would allow larger charge weights. In the end we agreed , no free lunch, and velocity is for the most part a direct result of pressure. But I am thankful for this thread as after learning the process Mr. Pedersen uses I do want one of his barrels. I believe his process could very well produce a very accurate barrel.

FWIW
Thanks
Jeff

Ok,
I have a 32" Bull barrel savage Action 338 EDGE. Havent worked up any loads yet as it came with 88 rds of ammo, dies and 150 pcs of once fired brass. No load data just said running 300gr Berger OTM, H1000 and 215M primers @ 3110 fps...? Waiting on friend to return chrono. Any ideas on safe starting loads or middle of the road? Barrels a 1/10 twist.

That would seem way hot to me for a standard 338 Edge ... With H1000 I only got into the 2900fps range.... I had 30 inch barrels on all the Edges I had... I did get to 3048 fps with reloader 33 but brass was done and it showed way over pressure.... Unless you have Plus P throat and improved this sounds like the FPS you mention is just to fast even with 2 inches more barrel and H1000

Sorry I didn't answer your load question. If your barrel was reamed with a standard Edge reamer... I would start with 90 gr of H1000.... loaded at 3.940 oal and a fed 215 primer for the 300 gr Bergers...

That would seem way hot to me for a standard 338 Edge ... With H1000 I only got into the 2900fps range.... I had 30 inch barrels on all the Edges I had... I did get to 3048 fps with reloader 33 but brass was done and it showed way over pressure.... Unless you have Plus P throat and improved this sounds like the FPS you mention is just to fast even with 2 inches more barrel and H1000
Haven't verified MV, that's word of mouth.

Guys with the improved 37 degree shoulder and the plus P or bore rider throat are getting I believe in the 2950 range out of 30 inch barrels.... With reloader 33 or N570 I think you could get to 3100 with your 32 inch barrel in these chamberings It might be possible if you didn't care about brass.. Are you sure yours is the regular old Edge and not improved some way???

do you have a piece of shot brass and a 300 rum brass... Just set them side by side and see if its exactly the same dimensions less the neck size... If it is that is the regular Edge.... if not... its something else....

Last edited:
I had a very nice lengthy conversation with Mr. Pedersen today owner of CBW. What a great man to talk with, and very meticulous and well versed in what he does. We talked in length about possibilities for what could result in velocity gains that are being seen here. He does hold some very tight tolerances (min. spec) and has some very good processes to produce a high quality barrel. So much that I plan to order one. He also has done some reduced land height rifling he refers to as "shadow rifling" and has been doing it for some time. We also talked about the possible adverse effects of this process as well as the velocity gains. But the barrel in question in this thread had NO special rifling or chambering other than the longer throat length to seat the bullet out farther. But this barrel was indeed held to CBW's very tight spec and could very well be at .3382" all the way through. Quality machine work for sure. But we agreed nothing that would cause the kind of velocity gains that are being seen in this thread or nothing that would lead us to believe that anything would allow larger charge weights. In the end we agreed , no free lunch, and velocity is for the most part a direct result of pressure. But I am thankful for this thread as after learning the process Mr. Pedersen uses I do want one of his barrels. I believe his process could very well produce a very accurate barrel.

FWIW
Thanks
Jeff

Did you end up buying a barrel and experimenting with this further?