338 EDGE @3146 with 300 Berger

As most know, I got the RL33 and the nosler brass which I got to play with today with both 250 and 300 bergers. No load development, just finding pressure and apparently it has very little to none with what I loaded as max charge. I am probably gonna have to charge with a straw since RL 33 uses so much case capacity. I only used the magneto for velocity since I was short on time and it is much easier to set up than the 35p. Max charge got me 3313 with the 300 and 3460 with the 250. Here is a pic of the 300 berger at max charge and primers came out with effort. I confirmed that the magneto was reading correctly and it showed 3000+- with my 47L and that is right where it should be.

and a pic of the magneto.

The bolt opened like butter but today was fairly cool this morning. I shot 12 of each in quick succession only taking a break between the 300 and 250's. All was shot in under an hour and shot another rifle between the 300's and 250's. Gun was still warm when I started the 250''s. I am gonna start load development at 102 with the 300's and and 105 with the 250's.

Since so much of this is in doubt (in others minds) I will bring the gun out, a box of 300 bergers, new keg of 33 and freshly primed brass with portable press and scale. We can load right there and shoot over your chrono along with mine to verify above. Mind you I don't sell rifles, so I have nothing to gain by fabricating any of this. Let the bashing commence.

I am very happy with it getting 3300 since I was only hoping for 3250, but the node will be what it will be and I am only concerned about accuracy in the end with decent velocity. Yes this gun is way faster than my others.

Make me jealousI'd order another barrel from the same place cut with the same reamer,just to have if I was you.I'm going to try rl33 in mine after hunting season.

Azprc, I am very interested in your results. But please do not take my statements as doubting you, only that, I, and I am sure some others, are scratching our heads very hard here.

Understand these facts, and why we are scratching.

I have never seen any EDGE go over 3000 with a 300 Berger. Some may have got to 3K or a few fps over with RL33 but that's it, as far as my knowledge goes. And this is even with a +P throat in some cases.

I have set up many 338 Lapua AI's with more case capacity than your EDGE and even with a full minimum taper case, 40* shoulder they will only get 3000 fps with VV N-570 or RL 33 in a 30" tube.

I am running a 338 Terminator +P (338 AI derivative) with the DE +P throat in a 32" barrel and running is at 3198 fps, with VV-N570 or RL33 it is a very warm load. Case volume of 123.7 gr of H20.

Some of the largest cased 338's like the AM line will get to 3300+ fps. But they need to use 130 to 140 gr of H-50 BMG to get there is a 34" barrel.

So, I would really be interested, and I am sure you would be too, in knowing what is going on here?

How about you load up a few rounds, zero at 100 and see what it takes for dial up in moa at 1000 yards to be dead on. Use the factory BC from Berger and lets see how that works out.

Also I would be interested in your round count. And did you measure the throat length of your chamber (case head to O-give) when the rifle was new? Also could you re-measure it now and see if it has grown any?

Like I said, please take this constructively. But I sure would like to know what is giving you the extra 300 to 400 fps from your EDGE.

Thanks
Jeff

Here is data from the H1000 loads and a 100 yard zero.

Here is the data from that session. 300 berger, 1794 yards, 2 degree down angle, 50.69 moa in the turret, this turret is .253 NF nxs, 4856 DA, 25.62 station barometer, 52.1 degrees, 46.6 % humidity. Distance is with 25c and target was 15" diameter circle 1/2 ar500. I have 3030 in FFS. See what your dope would be, it is gonna be real close.

Screen shot.

Here is a comment from another forum that somebody else got very high results.

Well after another long discussion with Shawn Carlock about the LRKM I think I am going to order one. He is recording some spectacular shots with his new creation. One session was holding 1 moa at 2224 yards and the latest he was about 1 1/2 moa at 2751. The bullet goes subsonic about 2500 yards. Seems the Plus P chambering has really helped out with velocity, he is getting 3135 with the 300 Bergers from the EDGE. I talked about a different chambering for my build and feel it will net even a little more MV. Anyway he is going to try to bring it by towards the end of next week so I can test drive it. Didnt think it would ever happen but my 338 Lapua might be going up for sale later this summer.

Jeff

I am hoping to keep the high node over 3100, time will tell. Load with RL33 was just looking for pressure so I knew where to start with development, I am in no way saying that I will have a node at 3300 fps with the 300 berger. Yes I have been asked to cast the chamber, which I will do but I am keeping it.

Here is a comment from another forum that somebody got very high results.

Well after another long discussion with Shawn Carlock about the LRKM I think I am going to order one. He is recording some spectacular shots with his new creation. One session was holding 1 moa at 2224 yards and the latest he was about 1 1/2 moa at 2751. The bullet goes subsonic about 2500 yards. Seems the Plus P chambering has really helped out with velocity, he is getting 3135 with the 300 Bergers from the EDGE. I talked about a different chambering for my build and feel it will net even a little more MV. Anyway he is going to try to bring it by towards the end of next week so I can test drive it. Didnt think it would ever happen but my 338 Lapua might be going up for sale later this summer.

Jeff

I am hoping to keep the high node over 3100, time will tell. Load with RL33 was just looking for pressure so I knew where to start with development, I am in no way saying that I will have a node at 3300 fps with the 300 berger. Yes I have been asked to cast the chamber, which I will do but I am keeping it.

I have talked to Shawn today twice. The 3135 was with the +P edge and is now closer to 3000 with production rifles and not the original test mule. That quote is indeed mine. I did sell the 338 LM and bought a LRKM in Terminator +P we have a second one on order for my son. I am as we speak working up a load for a 338 Terminator +P with 300 Bergers. 123.7 gr of H20 capacity case. I am getting 3140 fps from a 31" barrel with a safer load than I was getting 3200 from a 32". These velocities are close to the same at max with VVN-570 and RL 33.

I maybe feel a little resentment in your answer. Sorry if I offended. We would just like to know where the extra 300 fps your are getting is coming from. But I will bow out now. Thanks for your response. Some friendly advice would be to measure the throat again just to make sure you are not hurting your new rifle or are in any danger.

Good day
Jeff

No resentment, I am just different and no offense taken. Throat was 3.180" before I fired a round and is the same as best I can tell, only 100 rounds through it. Is it possible this one is fast, absolutely and it must be. With no load development and 92.4 grains I am at 3030 with the h1000 loads, what is the speed you guys were getting with similar charge? With that H1000 load I got 9 reloads out of remington brass. My old edge is about 100 fps slower than this one at max charge weight.

I also have a 338 extreme and I am same kind of velocity with it at my top node, 3375 out of it with the 300 berger although it normally runs solids.

We need to meet up since we are so close, meet at Broadwater some day or my spot out in the woods?

There is something special with your rifle.... My Edge showed pressure at 2850 fps using H1000 and pressure at 3048 fps using Reloader 33.. I think it would take a special throat to get over 100 fps more with an Edge...Can you get a copy of the reamer prints your smith used when chambering your rifle??? Thanks Dave

There is something special with your rifle.... My Edge showed pressure at 2850 fps using H1000 and pressure at 3048 fps using Reloader 33.. I think it would take a special throat to get over 100 fps more with an Edge...Can you get a copy of the reamer prints your smith used when chambering your rifle??? Thanks Dave

What charge were you at?