338 EDGE @3146 with 300 Berger

Azprc

So I am tired of waiting on my rail to come in for this gun, I figured I could at least find the limits of the cartridge. This one is set up as repeater with a 4.025" coal. Loaded .5 grain increments with both 300 bergers and 250 bergers. Started at 88.5 for the 250 and went to 97 grains, yep 97, figured since I had case capacity I would load them and stop when I ran into pressure. 96.5 grains, no pressure and bolt opened like butter, got 3324!!!! With 95 grains of in the 300 got me 3146fps!!! I still need to find the node for both bullets but I was in awe that I could get anywhere near those numbers. This gun is 32" 9.5 twist barrel from Classic Barrel Works in their action. Did I mention that this gun is a repeater action and holds 3 rounds!! All the brass I used is once fired out of one of my other edges. This action is CRF and does not have a spring loaded ejector, so we can ignore that . First 2 pics are from the 250 batch and 97 has primer issues.

All chrono data is from gen 3 Magneto. Do not load ammo based off my numbers! Every gun is different and these are only good in this particular gun. I could not get anywhere near these numbers in my other guns.

Last edited:
H1000 and I am on the hunt for VV570 since it seems guys get better results. This gun is totally different than all my other edges and I dig it.

What were the group's like at those velocities ?I'm just get ready to start working on loads for mine it has a 32" mcgowen on it .

No idea of groups since the gun has not rail on it right now. I was just trying to find the limits of pressure with the COAL before I got to find the nodes. JFI, everybody seems to start load development around 88 grains with the 300's. Start low and work up.

Just curious, what is max COAL for yours? Mine in the past have always been around 3.750-3.800". This barrel and chamber are way faster than my others with same load and chrono. I also forgot to mention that I shot my 5.68 with the same chrono yesterday and its velocity was right on, so I feel pretty good about the chrono.

Haven't gotten my dies yet just been getting everything together to load with.It is a long action single shot so I don't have to worry about a mag. with the length.

I am not insinuating anything or analyzing this load in your particular rifle. But for those newcomers looking for 338 EDGE loads I will say that most EDGES with 300 gr bullets top out at max between 90 and 92 grains of H-1000. I have only seen a few rifles go to 93 gr and the primer pockets were done in two firings in those with RP brass. There are always exceptions, but from looking at the charge weight and velocity please be careful.:)

Jeff

I am not insinuating anything or analyzing this load in your particular rifle. But for those newcomers looking for 338 EDGE loads I will say that most EDGES with 300 gr bullets top out at max between 90 and 92 grains of H-1000. I have only seen a few rifles go to 93 gr and the primer pockets were done in two firings in those with RP brass. There are always exceptions, but from looking at the charge weight and velocity please be careful.:)

Jeff

I agree 100%, most of my others are no where near this one. I think the chamber, thorat and barrel along with super long COAL attribute to the numbers. I believe Shawn is getting 3100 out of the 300's with his work.

AS I STATED EARLIER, DO NOT LOAD WITH MY DATA, EVERY GUN IS DIFFERENT AND REQUIRES ITS OWN LOAD DATA. I DO NOT KNOW WHERE ACCURACY NODE IS SINCE I SHOT WITHOUT SCOPE, BUT WAS JUST LOOKING FOR PRESSURE. I ALSO STARTED AT 88.5 GRAINS, OVER PRESSURE CAN AND WILL KILL!!!! START LOW AND WORK UP.

I was only hoping for 2900 fps to 2950 if I can get it out of a 32" barrel.With safe pressure.

I have only loaded for 6 or 8 Edges with 300 gr bullets. But have been around many. With H-1000 the safe average velocity from a 30" tube will be closer to 2825 to 2850 at 4000' ASL. and is achieved at 92.5 gr and below. You could add another 25 to 50 fps for a 32" tube in some cases.

Jeff