300 RUM 230 berger hybrid target vs 338 edge 300 SMK/Berger

Stavi300RUM

Hello, first off, I need some help deciding what to do. I shoot 230 berger hybrid target with the .743 bc from a 30" tube with a Vel of 2925 avg. vel. I have been debating whether or not to convert this over to a 338 edge and shoot the 300 smk or 300 bergers. What advantages do I get? Those 230 ' s hit Elk and Deer hard at 1000 yards. Will I get any noticeable benefit? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Personally, I don't see where you'd gain much, if any, if you're having excellent luck with the .300 RUM and the 230's at 1000 yards.

But, that's just my personal opinion.

You should get more barrel life from the Edge but I can't see any reason to tear up a good 300RUM. Wear out the 300 then decide which way to go.

That's what I've been telling all my buddies that shoot the edge. I personally think they are just scared of being out done by a smaller caliber rifle/bullet.:D

Pack your 230s with RL-33. Other than that the only noticeable difference between my 300 RUM shooting 230s and my 338 Lapua shooting 300s is the energy. Keep your RUM, as stated when the barrel is gone you can always change then. I love the 300gr 338's but not at the expense of a good 300 RUM.

Each will pound any animal very very dead at any distance. The only advantage that I see in the Edge is that it is so **** easy to load for. H1000 and any bullets shoots well close and far.

Recoil is the main concern here.

I had both and the EDGE with 300s kicks twice as hard as the 300 RUM felt like anyways.

The EDGE with 250s wasnt bad but you dont have the ballistics and I built it witg the 300g SMK in mind.

They both whopped deer and elk out to 900. Wont say one worked any better then the other.

I do prefer less recoil to a certain extent which is why I scratched the 338/300s in favor to the 7mm.

You`ll get more barrel life out of the .338.

Other than that, if you want to move up, Id just cut to the chase and go to a .338 Lapua Improved or .338 Edge +P or the like, and push 300s up closer to 3000fps and beyond.

Thanks for the informative opinions everyone. I'll most likely shoot the RUM until I burn the barrel out and then do the edge...maybe +p.

If you can get more speed out of your 30" RUM (which I suspect you could) without sacrificing accuracy, you will be giving up very little to a standard Edge running 300 grain bullets at 2850fps. I have a full custom 300RUM with non standard throating and a 32" barrel that allows 3250fps with RL33 using 230 Hybrids. This is a mild load as well. On paper I'm outperforming 300 grain bullets in all catergories when velocity is 2850fps. Impact velocity at long range is much better than the slow 300 too. Someone suggested going with a faster .338 if you were going to change, I agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.