230 grain berger hybrid target

shooter72

I get so many conflicting BC's on it??? why? I am going to take the one off the box and take it out long for the first time today. .711 up too .742 why so much change?

I get so many conflicting BC's on it??? why? I am going to take the one off the box and take it out long for the first time today. .711 up too .742 why so much change?

Maybe this will shed some light >>> Update of Berger Bullets

I have 230 Hybrid target (#30430) and the old G1 was .743 and now it is .717.

230%20Berger%20%202%20of%202_zpss3hopuvf.jpg

230%20Berger%201%20of%202_zpsj84on5gx.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I have seen .711 and .717 but mine are. 742???
Anyways at 1020 I was only off 1 click on my program. I will take a 4" group out of the gun since it has less than 20 rounds.

This is old but I am going to copy paste it in:

"Why do we have a need to revise the BC of bullets from time to time?

There is a bit of miss-information going around lately. More of a miss-understanding of what is going on when a bullet gets updated in the library. There are a couple of things to understand about how bullets are produced, which explains why bullets require their BC data to be updated from time to time:

1) Machine Setup: Companies only have a certain number of machines to produce bullets on. When they want to produce a new line of bullets, they must then swap out the tooling/dies/equipment on that machine for the next bullet. The process of doing this requires that the operators take special care to setup the machine for repeatability every time a production run is made. This can lead to small variances in BC from lot to lot as it is extremely difficult to produce 0.01% accuracy from setup to setup.

2) Tooling/Dies wear out. When you produce millions of bullets with a set of dies, you are going to have wear. This wear can lead to slight lot to lot variations in BC of bullets. Eventually you will need to make a new set of dies for that bullet, which can lead to a noticeable change in BC by the users. For this reason it is important to re-test bullets from time to time.

Quality control. The level at which a company decides to manage the two factors above will control the level of consistency you get from different lots of bullets.

3) Now that you know what can cause variations lot to lot, you know why you sometimes see that we have to update the BC on a bullet. This has nothing to do with the quality of the data, or the previous data. It has to do with changes in the product over time. Fortunately, our lab is constantly checking and re-checking bullets. We are not re-firing the old bullets we keep in catalog. We are firing new lots of the bullets in the library to make sure what is on the market now, matches up with the data we had in the library before. If we find enough variation in that data, then we publish a revision on that bullet. In the next edition of Ballistic Performance Of Rifle Bullets, and the current, you will find the lot numbers associated with the bullets data so you can track how far you are from the test batch. You are not seeing "corrections" to the data, as has been mistakenly thought in the past. You are seeing updated information, associated with the change in a manufacturers product. "

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts