230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Also, according to Berger, aren't the thinner jackets better for hunting? I may try the 200 Hybrids as a hunting round.[/QUOTE]

Without getting into any specific detail, I have strong, credible information to believe that Berger is not as far away as we may think from standing behind "ALL" of the hybrids for hunting. Let the hunting reports continue to come in!!:)

Ordered two boxes of 230 grain Hybrid Targets. Should have them by the end of next week. Problem is my wife says that they're a Christmas present for me and must stay under the tree!! I told her that they don't fly well all wrapped up like that.

Ordered two boxes of 230 grain Hybrid Targets. Should have them by the end of next week. Problem is my wife says that they're a Christmas present for me and must stay under the tree!! I told her that they don't fly well all wrapped up like that.

H ha, fill the boxes with something else. She will never know...:D

OOps, unless she reads on LRH too.:cool:

Jeff

Without getting into any specific detail, I have strong, credible information to believe that Berger is not as far away as we may think from standing behind "ALL" of the hybrids for hunting. Let the hunting reports continue to come in!!:)

Great news! These bullets are mighty attractive, but truth be told, I'd have used them anyway.

The word "Tactical" is so over-used these days that I'm not sure what the intended purpose is for the OTM relative to the target version.

Nonetheless, I've had great accuracy with the 230 OTM's and am inclined to try them on feral hogs for starters.

Berger indicated 67.9g max RL22 for 300WM. But, I've gone as high as 69g (2550fps) RL22 with no indication of high pressure. (May be different in your rifle. So, start low and work up.)

I'm using Win brass, and GM215M primers.

I haven't settled on a load as I'm working on getting ES down. But, none of the loads have been over an inch. Most are .5" and some smaller.

I'm slgihtly into the lands and still fit in my Gen I Sendero magazine.

-- richard

Here are some of my results from testing in the 300 WSM.

Some info for those of you that like running heavy loads in the 300 WSM, I did some experimenting today with IMR 7828SSC and the Berger 230 OTM tactical Hybrid. I was intrigued with this combo because of the downrange energy. There simply is not a .308 hunting bullet on the market that can match the energy of this bullet even if flying 100 fps faster. Not even the 210 VLD at 2850.

My rifle is a factory Winchester M70 Extreme Weather, 24" bbl, topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.

Load information: I used resized and trimmed Norma brass and CCI 200's for the test. I seated the bullets right at the lands, .000 jump which ends up at 3.310" COAL. BTW they still fit in the M70 magazine.

I loaded 18 rounds ranging from 64 - 66 grains of 7828SSC and fired 3 shot groups to determine an OCW. the weather was a little drizzly today, and I ended up losing two chrono readings, but I still feel like I got good data. Here are the results.

Load #1 64.0 grains IMR 7828SSC (Good group .35" all touching)
#1 2650 fps
#2 2624 fps
#3 -------
ES = 26 fps
Ave = 2637 fps (baseline)

Load #2 64.4 grains (Good group .55" in a cluster)
#1 2677 fps
#2 2656 fps
#3 2645 fps
ES = 32 fps
Ave = 2659 fps (+22)

Load #3 64.8 grains (scattered group 1.5")
#1 2682 fps
#2 2666 fps
#3 ------
ES = 16 fps
Ave = 2674 fps (+15)

Load #4 65.2 grains (tightening group .40" group - horizontal all touching)
#1 2688 fps
#2 2704 fps
#3 2672 fps
ES = 32 fps
Ave = 2688 fps (+14)

Load #5 65.6 grains (Tight group .30 with slight vertical)
#1 2721 fps
#2 2710 fps
#3 2682 fps
ES = 39 fps
Ave = 2704 fps (+16)

Load #6 66.0 grains (max load - slightly stiff bolt lift, not a horrible group - group was 2 shots on top of each other and the 3rd was about 1" to the left)
#1 2693 fps
#2 2688 fps
#3 2704 fps
ES = 16 fps
Ave 2695 fps (-9)

You can see the classic pressure curve leading up to the max load. It appears that the accuracy node is 65.4 or 65.5 grains. ES could improve a bit and it might with either of these charges. Overall, I think the test was a success and it opens up a bit more capability with the WSM. This bullet is about as close to wind proof as you'll find for a .30 cal and the down range energy is phenomenal. These are my results in my rifle. Load at your own risk.

FYI. The target 230s have a longer nose and are listed to have a G7 BC of .380. In comparison, the tactical 230 has a G7 BC of .368 and a shorter nose for easier magazine fit and function. I don't know if mag function is a necessity for you, but the BC of the target hybrid is just plain sexy.

OK boys here it is!! Got my 230 Match Hybrid Target bullets today. I split the jacket off of one of the 230's and one off of my 210 hunting VLD with a dremel tool. I carefully cleaned up the sharp edges with emery cloth when done as to get accurate measurements. On each jacket (230 and 210) I measured in five places starting at the base and going to the middle of the ogive recording all measurements. I repeated this process once so as to average my findings. Talk about excited, here is what I found!

Berger 230 Match Hybrid Target average jacket thickness: .023"

Berger 210 Match Hunting VLD average jacket thickness: .022"

Metplant Diameter (As accurately as I could measure):
210 Hunting VLD: .070"
230 Hybrid Target: .070"

Might we expect to see VLD like performance on game? I don't know, but I'm going to find out next season!!
The 230 is on top, the 210VLD on the bottom.
Berger Jacket Comparison 085.jpg
Notice the blunt nose on the lead portion of the 230, this might actually work better to open on game?​

Nice, I would love to see what a 230 OTM's wall thickness is. If its close I would go with the Target and better BC. But I have seen what the OTM's can do and its plain nasty.

Thanks for your time, effort, and photo. The photos are always interesting and informative.

Tried mine in my 30-378 Bee. .33" at 100 so far.

The winds have not been kind enough to let me stretch her out!

2012-09-11135924.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.