338 EDGE @3146 with 300 Berger

I've been working up some loads the last couple weeks too.I have a 32" barrel as well.I got 2898,2898,2886 with 92 gr of h1000 I'm in Virginia at 2344 foot above sea level.I have a little more room going by the primers and I have a easy bolt lift.My buddies with a 30" topped out with pressure at 90.5 We dropped his back to 90 gr for 2850.After hunting seasons I'm going to try rl33.

Yours is similar to my other one. Most of mine have been shot around 4200' actual and DA typically higher, except for this last week and Da has been around 4800ish. My last loads were at 92 grains and 2910 ish.

I am at 3048 fps with 103 grains of Reloader 33, touching the lands at 5500 ft and a 30 inch barrel... Pressure signs but with no sticky bolt lift . Backed off my load to 102.5 gr and get 3008 fps..OAL 3.960

2850 fps with 92 gr of H1000.. Light pressure signs no sticky bolt lift... My bullets aren't loaded as long as yours... OAL is 3.940

The last several standard long throat 338 EDGE's we have done with H-1000 from 91 to 92.5 gr where most max out and have light ejector marks we get 2800 to 2825 from a 28" and 2830 to 2860 from a 30". 100 to 150 fps gain from RL 33 will put them at 3000 give or take. Some get that much, some don't.

We are at 4100 feet.

Jeff

I was with dgarrett when he shot his over my oehler and I would say 2980 to 3005 is just about all you could expect. His shot equally as good with the 3005 area load as 2980 but that was all you could expect out of his gun velocity wise.

Re: 338 EDGE @ +3300fps with 300 Berger

Here's the secret to unreal velocity.

Chevy Chase - Christmas Vacation - Sled Wax

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0]national lampoons christmas vacation - sled wax - YouTube[/ame]

If I had this gun I'd do everything in my power to figure out how your getting it cause you'll retire on the profits!! Chambers and powders can mask a lot of pressure, speed equals pressure and it's gotta be doing it somehow your to don't get velocity.

I put a pressure gauge on a barrel of one of my rifles and ran H1000, Retumbo and R33, same everything else and at very similar velocities I saw very close pressures, the pressure signs on the case ranged from sever flat primer and loose pocket to round edge primers and looking like a soft load. The gauge number were all about the same, the speed of the pressure ramp up and the time at the top of the curve changed a lot.

This thread is a pretty decent read.

Just sayin'

That 338 Edge behaves like my 270 Win. Have no idea of why or how a 140 grain Berger can be pushed up towards 3400 and be perfectly useful in all ways at 3200.

When one of these things comes around treat it very wisely. Cause, when she's gone, she's gone. That's real remorse.

Update, talked to the guys over at CBW and they gave me some insight. As best I can remember, this one has wider grooves, 6 grooves, tight bore and they have tricks from the neck to several inches down the bore and apparently they have been doing them for lots of years. Nice guys and spent over 45 minutes on the phone with them. I am ordering 2 more barrels while they have that cutter since they can guarantee me the same cutter. They make their own cutters and only replace when they have to so these next 2 will be with the same one. They started talking in language that I could not follow, that is about all I can remember. I will say that it is nice to go to a smith that does it all in house, they make everything in house. Not many guys say that they can rifle a piece of round material into a barrel, they are gonna get the go-ahead for the daughters 6x47 in the next couple of weeks in their left hand controlled round feed action. Now to find a purple camo scheme for hers????