338... a revisit on a specific build.

Since you are looking light and recoil is a consideration, here is another option. The 338 Sherman Short will run a 250 Berger at 2800+ at under 3" coal. It's easily capable of elk at 1000 yards at under 24 moa when loaded to max. My brass is made by ADG and is every bit Lapua quality. Recoil is significantly less than the large capacity magnums with only marginally less velocity.

My 2 cents would be a 338 EDGE. Standard bolt face and a slight edge on powder capacity over the Lapua.

With your criteria, I would build a 338 Norma (or better yet, Norma Improved) with an absolute minimum of a 26" barrel. I wouldn't be able to justify a big magnum with anything less than 26" because you would be leaving a ton of velocity and unburnt powder on the table. FWIW, my 338 Norma Improved has a 28" barrel. Yes that makes for a long rifle with a can on the end, but for 1000 yard shooting rifle length is the least of my concerns. The 338 Norma works great in CIP length magazines. The Lapua, RUM, Edge, etc. will all require long Wyatt's boxes in order to get a long 300 grain bullet out where it wants to be.

For engaging 1000 yard targets, I would shoot the 300 grain Bergers or SMKs out of a 9-10 twist barrel. Those projectiles will be the most forgiving in the wind, which is the biggest challenge at extreme range.

I run my 338 Norma Improved suppressed with a TBAC 338 Ultra. It does a great job on recoil, but there is no free lunch. In a hunting weight rifle with 300 grain bullets going 2750+, it's going to pound you plain and simple. My 338 Norma Improved tips the scales around 22lb, and even with the can there is still a significant amount of recoil energy (I am pushing 300 Bergers around 2900). To truly feel comfortable taking a cold bore shot at 1000, minimum rifle weight (including scope and bipod) for me would be in the 15lb range. I simply can't shoot a lighter weight 338 with enough precision to take that shot. The torque on the rifle from a fast twist barrel and 300 grain bullets is a significant factor.

Kinda interesting build! I usually start with bullets then look at range and game goals to kinda guide. I would build around the 250 Berger, absolutely crushes elk, shoots unreal and cuts the recoil a lot. You would not need to max out a large case to keep this bullet really hitting, I'm normally a huge 338 RUM fan especially with the ADG brass BUT I would probably look at the 33 Nosler, the Lapua and Norma take a different class of receiver which adds weight all over the place.
You'll actually have to probably have to add weight and go with the lightest contour carbon barrel to get a good mount with the suppressor, a #4 steel might cut back enough at 22 inches to mount to, I know a #5 will and in 338 is actually light.
I like the all Ti Pierce, really cuts weight, could also go with Defiances lightest steel action and still be pretty good.
I would probably put a Manners EH-5 on it depending on the contour of the barrel, the thumbhole really put the felt recoil inline with your body and what the suppressor doesn't eat up will still be comfortable and on target.

I do the same exact thing. I choose the bullet first and then backwards plan from there. First defining what my standards are and then choosing a chambering that will make it happen. The big .30 calibers have been mentioned on this thread already. Just wanted to add my nod for their consideration. You would be surprised what the big .30 cals can do now with the heavyweight bullets that have been recently put into production by some of the manufacturers. In some cases you're getting .338 Lapua performance in a .30 cal package. An example would be the 230 grain Berger pushed out of a .300 RUM. This combo actually edges out the .338s in terms of external ballistic performance (wind drift and drop) and hangs right in their in the kinetic energy department. All while having a smaller lighter package and not needing an oversized action or bolt face. The big thirties are absolute hammers now because of recent bullet advancements.

I'm putting together a similar package right now and am going with the 338SS based on the results others have seen. LPA FuzionTi short action, Proof 338 Sendero @24, Manners Carbon T stock and probably a MBM Beast 4port Ti brake if I can ever get my hands on one. There is a thread out there you can read "my 338 Sherman Shortmag" that has some good info. I'm going to have mine built around the 250 Berger elite hunter and will hopefully get in the vicinity of 2800fps. Long range to me would be inside 800 yards so this seems to fit the bill nicely. Rich Sherman has been extremely helpful!

I'm planning a 338 norma right now and aiming for 12-14 pounds loaded and suppressed.

How are you with recoil? Some people are able to know they are about to get the business and still perform and some are not. How light is your -284? (What carry weight are you used to)

I bought a silencerco Hybrid 46 and used it on my 300WM, which I shoot 110 gr GMX's out of (result of an experiment to find best groupings and the light bullets just worked best, I cant tell you if the GMX stays together or not because I have never recovered a bullet) I have a about 4 kills btn 2-300 yards with this rifle and the animals never took a step. I use it of course on my 458 SOCOM AR also (giant heavy beast). I dont flinch with either of these, but I practice a lot.

My 6.5 Norma was the first rifle I ever built and my only bolt build to date (built it in 2008). It has 26 inch barrel and is about 9-10 lbs all in, it is long and I don,t take it on hunts where I will be hiking a lot (I use a 16" 308 encore (suppressed)as my backpack rifle). Here is thing, I dont suppress the 6.5. For whatever reason, the 6.5 shoots everything well, any weight, any factory load, any handload. I cannot make it shoot over 1 moa and many loads are ragged hole at 100. Another quirk it has is the groups dont spread at 200, 1" at 100 is 1" at two. The barrel is a match stainless Shilen Heavy Sporter built on a Savage 110 LA with a riflebasix trigger. I am scared to cut and thread it as I don't want to lose the magic. It is about as long as I would want any rifle to be.

Which brings up philosophy on builds. A member posted earlier that he builds around a bullet. My experience started as loading to get crappy old rifles to shoot good, then I started to build good rifles. In my mind, I build a rifle and then figure out what it likes. This has been an wonderful conversation and I appreciate all of the input so far. I will post a summary in bit.

Again thanks. I am wholly impressed at the quantity of thoughtful responses, This might not be perfect, but below is my counts to present. I went ahead and added the Sherman as it got many votes.

Norma - 4
Lapua - 7
Nos - 1
RUM - 9
Sherman - 6

Barrel Length - one 22 and five 26's <--a few guys said they were building short but didn't say the length, so this is mis-leading

TR - two 9, one 9.3, one 9.5.

Weight min - four 10#, one 11,12,and 13, two 14#<---that is a good statistical distribution, almost gaussian

Recommended redirect to big thirties - 5

We just had our 1st range day with our 338 Fat Girl. (300 Norma Mag imp)

It is a Kelby action with a 28" Proof Sendero cf barrel with a small PK brake, HS Precision dbm, jewel trigger, mounted in a AG Composite tactical stock. We topped it (for now) with Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x. This is coming in at 10.3 lbs Our initial load work up was with the 260g Hammer Hunter and H1000. We ran out of case capacity at 3026fps with no signs of pressure. Next range day will be with rl23 and Norma MRP. We are expecting to reach 3100fps. As others have noted the Norma case offers high end performance from a shorter case that operates in standard long mags.

With the small PK this rifle is very comfortable to shoot.

I would have went with 26" barrels for packing in the Mountains but found the two 30 " barrels from a member here !
Cant wait to send a few with them .

I don't think I have ever posted before, but I find this forum intriguing. I have almost every Caliber listed here excepts some of the improved and a 33 Nosler. I have some of them in multiples and shoot 99.9 % suppressed. That being said you won't find a lot of people who actually shoot the 338 Norma. What I can tell you though is I have taken a lot of different game at many different ranges, and it can be done light and accurate. How you shoot it is going to be the definitive answer. You said you are looking for light, suppressed, long range, and "extended brass life". You will not get better brass life than that Norma, the Norma was specifically designed to get a 300gr bullets at Max capacity at shorter lengtht without high pressure. Which you will not get with a lot of the 30 Cal's mentioned below. Not to say they aren't good cartrides. I have most those as well, and they can do the job , but you will not see the case life. The best part, when you pull out that LWMMG round, people love it. Sometimes that's the best part.

My rig is is a 338/7STW improved built it 15 years ago. Fire form 8mm mag cases to get desired shoulder. 26"fluted barrel resin stock on accurized 700 LA in full rig is 9.5lbs shooting a 250gr partition at 3000 on top of 87gr of RL22 kicks like a mule. Not fun off the bench but have taken Moose at 300 and 550 with it. Basically it's a 338RUM built light for carry in the bush. I would like it shorter but would sacrifice a bit of velocity!

Got a 338 RUM. Love it! I think barrel length could be the issue, if you are looking for full potential. My rifle has sporter barrel and not a heavy gun. I don't see recoil as big issue with 225 grain sst Using RL22 with great accuracy. I only shoot it out to 500 but it's a sub moa shooter. Remington shows rifle at 7-1/2 pounds sans scope and mount. I've had no problem getting brass.

Having had four different 338wm I decided I wanted no longer than 24" barrel.
The last one I had was Macmillan stocked classic stainless model 70 with a ported barrel.
Gun without scope went 7-1/2 lbs and would shoot better than I could.
For carrying all day up and down canyons for elk I want fairly light and stainless/synthetic for weather in the nw.
Stay with a quality 250 grain bullet and it will do what you want.
And in 338 win mag ammo is available anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.