Help me build a 338 Edge

Terry Scott

Ok here is what I'm trying to do.
Build a 338 Edge, to hunt with,so it needs to be light enough not to need a gunbearer. Albeit I know it will be a bit on the heavy side.
Very mangeable recoil, so that it can go time and time again to the range, when I don't draw a big game tag. I want to enjoy shooting this rifle, not dread it.
Accurate... Just not interested in anything that I don't have confidence at long range. This rifle will be used out to 1200 yds and needs to drive tacks.
Price....If we assume you get what we pay for I'm willing to look at the best, and work down from there.
At the risk of opening Pandoras box, Id love to hear from you if you own something like I've described. As for optics, I'm planning on 5.5x22 NXS
Thanks in advance for the input.
Additionally I'd like input for barrel length, and what to expect as far as ballistics, from your favorite bullet.
as of now I'm planning on shooting 300 grainers.

I have one of Shawn's Long Range Hunter rifles in .338.300 RUM (Edge). It has shot steel out to 1000. The rifle shoots 300 SMK's at 2715 fps. I would go to a 28" barrel next time. With his DE brake the recoil is no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.