Thoughts on a 6.5 build

Do you own another 22-250? If not, utilize what you already have and go with a 260 bobcat. You will have all the room you will need to seat out your bullets. You won't have to change your bolt face, and you still have good long range capability.

Bolt faces can be opened up, but they cannot be closed back. That being said, you can turn a .22-250 into a SAUM or WSM, but you cannot go the other way around.

That's what i was getting at in my original post in regards to whether i could do the build, was if you could open it up. Thanks for clarifying that.
I never thought about a 7wsm, that would be another good option.

I have a couple of prospects for a 6.5 build. One is my old faithful 257 weatherby that may be getting a little loose in the accuracy department ( on a mark v action) and the other is a winchester model 70 featherweight 22-250 that was never super accurate to start with.
I am thinking of possibly rebarreling the weatherby to a 6.5-300 weatherby if i can't get it tuned up and shooting well again. The 2nd option could be a 6.5 saum on the winchester short action. The builds would be on opposite ends of the spectrum- the weatherby will stay on the medium to heavy side, the other would be a lighter trimmer package.
I've never done anything custom, so I may be missing some of the fine points if i convert the winchester. I assume that i would need either a new bolt, or can it be modified since the case diameter is larger than the original 22-250? Any thing else that can be an issue? Magazine length?
Am i thinking rationally in regards to a 6.5 saum? Or should i just tone it down and build a creedmore? I handload, so brass is the only issue with the 6.5 saum.

I would like to build a 6.5x257 wby but custom dies are a problem and I doubt it would be any faster than the 264 win mag. If your bbl is big enough you could get the 257 rebored to 264 win mag.

The SAUM probably has it beat in the efficiency dept. I doubt the velocity is greater than the 264 wm. The 9 lug mark v could easily be done in 6.5x300wby and faster than either the saum or the win mag version. Just replace the bbl, remove the spacer and lengthen the bolt stop groove.

In either case good luck and shoot straight

Bob

That's what i was getting at in my original post in regards to whether i could do the build, was if you could open it up. Thanks for clarifying that.
I never thought about a 7wsm, that would be another good option.

The 7mm SS would be a better option.

yes they can be closed back by bushing the bolt facegun)

Yes, but cutting that extractor groove in some bolt faces can be a bit tricky... So as a general rule, and with the amount of money and time it takes to do this, most gunsmiths recommend just getting a whole new bolt body.

I don't think you can use the model 70 for saum build.
If not a long action or one chambered in WSM should work and they can be picked up used pretty reasonably.

I still have to keep talking myself out of one in .325wsm but I know I have really absolutely no use for it with the .300wm's and 300 Rum's then stepping up to the .375 Ruger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.