Thoughts on this "build"

montana_native

I picked up a used Savage short action and a B&C Medalist tactical stock recently. I was thinking of a 260 barrel in 26-28" length 1:8 twist to shoot the big 130-140 Bergers at deer across beet fields and at rock chucks.

Are there better short action calibers to be had with more punch? I am mostly drawn to the high BC's of the 0.264" bullets.

Thanks.

I dont think there is a better short action deer round,I swear that the 260 bucks the wind better than most,I used to use solid 100grs at almost 3400 fps usin IMR 4064 for yotes,talk about fur friendly!My buddy just built one for his girls to use on deer and lopes,its his favorite LR varmit round.

Last edited:
Yes there are other S/A with more punch but the 260 is a fine cartridge. Depending on how far you want to shoot deer it should do the job just fine. My 6.5-284 has worked great for G-Hogs and deer with 140's and 142's.

The 260 will give you better barrel life than the other calibers. Like anything else, small bullet and more powder results in faster erosion of the lands. I am interested in the 260AI. That may be a viable option as well.

Tank

I met a guy in Wa. that was shooting a 6.5WSM at the 1K line (RattleSnake Mtn) and doing nicely I might add. I was impressed.
I know you distinctly said short action but since you mentioned 6.5-06, I just read (last night) an article in "Shooting Times" about a custom rifle built around the 6.5-280AI case. The guy used Nosler Custom brass a 24" barrel (may have been 23") but was getting .264 WinMag velocities I believe. I think Darrell Holland built it (??). JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.