Thoughts on a 6.5 build

I would like to build a 6.5x257 wby but custom dies are a problem and I doubt it would be any faster than the 264 win mag. If your bbl is big enough you could get the 257 rebored to 264 win mag.

The SAUM probably has it beat in the efficiency dept. I doubt the velocity is greater than the 264 wm. The 9 lug mark v could easily be done in 6.5x300wby and faster than either the saum or the win mag version. Just replace the bbl, remove the spacer and lengthen the bolt stop groove.

In either case good luck and shoot straight

Bob
If you did you'd be approaching similar barrel life to the 26 Nosler.

I don't think you'd be very happy for long with anything pushing the 140's much past 3,400-3,600 FPS.

"Either rifle could easily be retired and put in the safe never to see the light of day just based on nostalgia, but they are like a good dog, they need to hunt. Hopefully neither is too far gone the tweaking some loads won't bring em around. But it's nice to know either is just a new barrel away from having a job again."

That's why we do what we do. Good luck with the 6.5-300 AND the SAUM. If you wanted a creed more you would have stated that first. Do what you want they all have pluses and minuses. The rest are just opinions.

I'll throw in my opinion of the .260 Ackley. I have the 147 eld-m's going 3050 fps with rl26, and 2930 with h4831sc, however this is in a 30" barrel.

on the low end, I have Berger 140 VLD's going 2930, but they are stupid accurate. I had them going 3020, but accuracy had dropped down to .5 to .75 MOA. At 2930...they are more accurate than I can shoot the rifle, and I REGULARLY get sup .25 MOA groups.

Great caliber, very accurate and easy to tune.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.