338... a revisit on a specific build.

That's a challenging build you have spec'd. For true 1000yd performance you're looking at something like a Lapua, Edge, or RUM. I'd vote RUM just to simplify building it into a standard long action. I have a 14lb Edge, which wears a brake, and it can bruise the shoulder if you're wearing a T-shirt if you shoot a few groups. Now cut the barrel from 30" to 26", make it carbon fiber instead of steel, drop to something like 10-11lbs...you will have a difficult to shoot animal which is challenging at long range.

Long range rifles are a tool build for a purpose, and IMHO you can only neuter their specs so much. You need barrel to burn powder from a big case and weight to absorb recoil and steady the rifle for long range shooting. IMHO I'd look at a 26" barrel and a 12lb floor, scoped.

The larger cased 338's tend to work best with slow powders, which tend to require longer barrels for optimum performance.

Given that you are looking to minimize weight and length in a suppressed rifle, it seems to me that cartridge efficiency is a factor that should be carefully considered.

For that reason, I believe the 338 SS (Sherman Short) deserves serious consideration: https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/338-ss

It will meet all of your performance goals in a package that can be built light enough for a carry rifle and will suffer the least performance penalty in shorter barrels of any 338 cartridge in existence. ADG offers quality brass for the SS series of wildcat cartridges, which is a huge advantage by itself.

Given that you plan to run your rifle exclusively suppressed (as opposed to a muzzle brake), I would caution against building it too light. I would think 9 to 9.5 pounds all up would be a reasonable goal. If you go much lighter, you may not enjoy shooting it.

Though not strictly necessary, I would advise you to go with a 9 or 9.3 twist, #5 contour or greater. This would allow you to use any of the advanced monos now being made, along with any cup and core bullet you desire. The 338 diameter Sherman Wildcats have shown very little advantage to barrel lengths in excess of 24". I am not sure how short you are looking to go, but I would expect 22" would serve you well.

Rich Sherman, the creator of the Sherman Wildcat cartridges, is a member here, who goes by the name of elkaholic. I encourage you to contact him via PM. I think he would be very helpful to you.

Last edited:
338 Rum for my vote.
Here is the two newest 338's I'm working on . Left 338 Rum Benchmark carbon 30"
Right 338 Edge Proof 30" .
I tryed to go lighter than my other Edges,but only lost 4 pounds . Both ready to roll at 10.6 pds. Havent fired them yet .
20190113_155257.jpg

338 lapua 300gr bergers, 1;9.3 26'' PROOF BARREL. titanium action with steel bolt or its sticky and a little tight with both. I have one similar and it weighs 7.6 pounds. I've shot a lot of animals past a grand with it.

I'm planning a 338 norma right now and aiming for 12-14 pounds loaded and suppressed.

How are you with recoil? Some people are able to know they are about to get the business and still perform and some are not. How light is your -284? (What carry weight are you used to)

Pick your poison.
33 nosler, 338 edge, 338 norma, 338 rum
Pierce engineering titanium action (highly recommended their products and work)
Kevlar or carbon fiber stock
Proof/carbon six/hells canyon CF barrel
~9 twist barrel

I'm building an 338 edge, but was close to choosing a 338 Norma.

I'm building a 338 lapua improved right now and I'm hoping for 10.5-10.75 lbs ready to hunt. I'm using a defiance action, proof barrel, manners carbon fiber stock, and nightforce nxs scope. So I vote 338 lapua.

Kinda interesting build! I usually start with bullets then look at range and game goals to kinda guide. I would build around the 250 Berger, absolutely crushes elk, shoots unreal and cuts the recoil a lot. You would not need to max out a large case to keep this bullet really hitting, I'm normally a huge 338 RUM fan especially with the ADG brass BUT I would probably look at the 33 Nosler, the Lapua and Norma take a different class of receiver which adds weight all over the place.
You'll actually have to probably have to add weight and go with the lightest contour carbon barrel to get a good mount with the suppressor, a #4 steel might cut back enough at 22 inches to mount to, I know a #5 will and in 338 is actually light.
I like the all Ti Pierce, really cuts weight, could also go with Defiances lightest steel action and still be pretty good.
I would probably put a Manners EH-5 on it depending on the contour of the barrel, the thumbhole really put the felt recoil inline with your body and what the suppressor doesn't eat up will still be comfortable and on target.

X2 on the .338 Norma.
I've never owned one but want one with the improved chamber. Fire forming is no biggy.
We have a member her that goes by sp6x6, he is very skilled with the .338 bore and I believe he shoots a .338 Norma. Maybe him or a few others will chime in.
BTW- welcome :cool:

The larger cased 338's tend to work best with slow powders, which tend to require longer barrels for optimum performance.

Given that you are looking to minimize weight and length in a suppressed rifle, it seems to me that cartridge efficiency is a factor that should be carefully considered.

For that reason, I believe the 338 SS (Sherman Short) deserves serious consideration: https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/338-ss

It will meet all of your performance goals in a package that can be built light enough for a carry rifle and will suffer the least performance penalty in shorter barrels of any 338 cartridge in existence. ADG offers quality brass for the SS series of wildcat cartridges, which is a huge advantage by itself.

Given that you plan to run your rifle exclusively suppressed (as opposed to a muzzle brake), I would caution against building it too light. I would think 9 to 9.5 pounds all up would be a reasonable goal. If you go much lighter, you may not enjoy shooting it.

Though not strictly necessary, I would advise you to go with a 9 or 9.3 twist, #5 contour or greater. This would allow you to use any of the advanced monos now being made, along with any cup and core bullet you desire. The 338 diameter Sherman Wildcats have shown very little advantage to barrel lengths in excess of 24". I am not sure how short you are looking to go, but I would expect 22" would serve you well.

Rich Sherman, the creator of the Sherman Wildcat cartridges, is a member here, who goes by the name of elkaholic. I encourage you to contact him via PM. I think he would be very helpful to you.

Thank you. This is fascinating.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts