Scope rings

I've always used horizontal rings and was a lapping guy....now I have to use vertical splits with proprietary mount..Talley.
They say no lapping; so does Warne...
I understand what they're saying but can't get my head around the physics of vertical split rings and how they magically line up so no lapping ...
I also understand the lapping process rquires assembly with a lapping bar and then disassembly and reassembly with scope...somewhat antithetical, right?

I have preferred the vertical rings for years and maybe its just me but I noticed less movement of the scope when tightening at set up.
That and fewer screws. They are a little bit of a pain in the @55 to set up since your not just attaching the bottom or the ring and setting the scope in it.

I always lap my scope rings, or use the Burris rings with plastic inserts. If nothing else then to prevent marring the scope tube. Nothing wrong with preserving resale value, plus, a good fit requires less clamping force to securely hold the scope. Win win.

Last edited:
I've always used horizontal rings and was a lapping guy....now I have to use vertical splits with proprietary mount..Talley.
They say no lapping; so does Warne...
I understand what they're saying but can't get my head around the physics of vertical split rings and how they magically line up so no lapping ...
I also understand the lapping process rquires assembly with a lapping bar and then disassembly and reassembly with scope...somewhat antithetical, right?
I stopped lapping rings quite some time ago. There used to be an optics SME/optical engineer and LRH member (Bruce Ventura) who owned a business selling optics and accessories. Instead of lapping, he sells pieces of tape (IIRC, it was made of high-temperature mylar), which is good for three scopes for $10. For the same amount, I found a similar tape on Amazon that does the same job for ~100+ scope rings. I have been using this method for 10+ years without any issues.

Scope ring mylar tape.jpg

Burris Sig rings w plastic eccentric inserts that swivel about to tune scope alignment in rings.
The first scope rings I used (2003) with inserts were Sako Optilocks on my SAKOM995 in .300 WM. They are as solid as they come. I also owned a few Burris XTR Signature rings with offset inserts. They are very underrated but built like a tank. This is an older video presentation, but it is still one of the best out there.

Burris XTR Signature rings are truly handy for 22LR ELR. At ranges in excess of 300 yards for the diminutive 22LR and to get the most out of EL dial and reticle hash markings, the ability to utilize more than just half your scope's elevation is most handy by adding MOA cant to rail plus 0 to 40 moa inserts in 5 moa increments rings. Having to hold over (or under) just did not work when age diminished my ranging internal calculator. With a 30 moa rail and 20 moa XTR inserts, my first FFP scope could be zeroed at 25 or 50 yards and then dial to 28 +/- 3 mils to compensate for the approx 525 inch drop of 22LR at 500 yards. Learning this years ago in my 70s was like putting a new lithium battery in my interal calculator! Also learning to get the installation of the inserts inside rings perfectly arranged, took me back to school. Then that 50 wasn't but 47 moa because the angle <cant> distance between front n rear rings affected cant angle and oh yes distance/height between centers, bore and scope meant.....blah, blah. Far more accurate than lapping and filing ever was or is! Now to see what I can translate to 308, 6.5CR, 243 and 6mm ARC before i get to age 90 with Burris XTRs.

FEENIX, THANKS FOR THE VIDIO LINK.
i looked into these a long rime ago. Maybe I should have tried them out.
So could you use the signature rings in the same manner as a 20mm or so rail to get your zero closer to the bottom of you skope adjustments to gain more distance?