Scope or Rings

werth338

I have been working on zeroing a couple of rifles. They are both Mark V and the scopes are Zeiss V-6 3-18X50 with Talley Ultralight Rings. In the process, it is taking 60-80 MOA of elevation to get in the area of being zeroed on both rifles. This seems excessive to me for movement so I tried a couple of other options. I tried a Nightforce SHV in the Talley rings with the same result. I tried both scopes in some older Warne steel mounts with the same result. I have sense tried a Swaro Z5 in Talley Ultralight rings and it lined up perfectly with minimal travel.

Am I missing something that would cause 30mm tube scopes to have an issue but 1" tube to be fine? I know I could run a 20 MOA rail to give some relief but that would still seem like a minimal amount of travel out of a scope with a 105MOA of elevation travel.

Any help is appreciated.

If you tried the Swaro and the Zeiss scopes and they both gave you the same results, I'd say it might not be the scope... Sounds like the rings could be the culprit.

The centerline of a 30mm tube is higher than that of a 1" tube if they both are measured to the same height from the bottom of the tube to the top of the receiver. So yes, that can throw your scope's adjustments off a fair bit. A 20MOA rail will help a lot more than you think.

I have been working on zeroing a couple of rifles. They are both Mark V and the scopes are Zeiss V-6 3-18X50 with Talley Ultralight Rings. In the process, it is taking 60-80 MOA of elevation to get in the area of being zeroed on both rifles. This seems excessive to me for movement so I tried a couple of other options. I tried a Nightforce SHV in the Talley rings with the same result. I tried both scopes in some older Warne steel mounts with the same result. I have sense tried a Swaro Z5 in Talley Ultralight rings and it lined up perfectly with minimal travel.

Am I missing something that would cause 30mm tube scopes to have an issue but 1" tube to be fine? I know I could run a 20 MOA rail to give some relief but that would still seem like a minimal amount of travel out of a scope with a 105MOA of elevation travel.

Any help is appreciated.
You probably have the wrong rings.

I checked what was ordered and supposedly shipped and according to that they are correct. I will give the 20 MOA rail a go and see what happens.

I checked what was ordered and supposedly shipped and according to that they are correct. I will give the 20 MOA rail a go and see what happens.
Things get misboxed all the time.

Are you dead sure you have the front and rear rings each installed in the right location?

A lot of receivers are not flat and/or squared so the rings are offset in height to level them to the barrel.

If you have the right rings and they are installed properly there's no reason at all you should be having this problem.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a rings problem. One way to solve the problem is with Burris Signature Zee rings. They have plastic inserts that are available in various degrees of offset. A side benefit is that they will never scratch your scope.

I am thinking they were misboxed. I checked to make sure they were positioned correctly. I know this isn't scientific but if I compared the 1" rings vs 30mm rings there appears to be a little difference between the two. I haven't quantified it but by appearance it seems to be different.

I hadn't heard of the Burris rings but will give them a look.

I am thinking they were misboxed. I checked to make sure they were positioned correctly. I know this isn't scientific but if I compared the 1" rings vs 30mm rings there appears to be a little difference between the two. I haven't quantified it but by appearance it seems to be different.

Here ya go!
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/burris-signature-zee-rings.3741082/
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Burris+signature+zee+rings&userItemsPerPage=48
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...actical-signature-picatinny-style-rings-matte

Give a look to Seekins Precision rings. I use them on almost every rifle I own. They're a bit on the pricey side at around $120-130 a set, but they're supremely high-quality, and super strong. I strongly recommend giving them a look.

https://swfa.com/seekins-precision-scope-30mm-rings.html

I also recommend EGW (Evolution Gun Works) HD 20MOA bases. I also use these on every rifle.

https://swfa.com/egw-hd-picatinny-rail-1-piece-scope-mount-84.html

Sounds like you have a rings problem. One way to solve the problem is with Burris Signature Zee rings. They have plastic inserts that are available in various degrees of offset. A side benefit is that they will never scratch your scope.

+1! The extreme (last one) can give you up to 40 of MOA without a canted base.

Last edited:
I have ATN X-SIGHT II HD 3-14x
DAY & NIGHT RIFLE SCOPE. It is the greatest optic I've ever owned! Good performance, easy to use, and the Wi-Fi streaming is amazing. I bought mine from https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight website. Hope you`ll find it great too
You'll find that in the cold it turns into a very expensive paperweight.

Have a backup anytime you are hunting/shooting in below freezing temps and make sure you have the extra long life battery pack even in cold temps just above freezing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.