33 Nosler testing

I would disagree about the Nosler cases. I went with the 33 Nosler because of the case size, it's perfect for hunting, and its shorter case allows for plenty of room for high bc bullets. How much energy do you need to 1000 yards? A 250 gr .6+ g1 bc bullet going 2900 fps will get it done in any reasonable length hunting scenario.
I once said the 33 Nosler is the 6.5 cm of 33 calibers, change my mind?
It's set up well for heavy for caliber bullets, not super fast but decent ballisticly, with just enough energy for long range. I wanted a 33 caliber that wouldn't kill on both ends, good to intermediate ranges, so am going to shoot a 160 ttsx with H4831sc, maybe try H4350 or RL16 as well, at about 2900-3000 fps, to kept the recoil down. But probably try some 250 grain .6+ g1 bc bullets as well. I got everything but the barrel.
Pic is a 300 wm next to a 33 Nosler case. I don't get why you knock the case when it's perfect for a standard mag LA magazine, with a good shoulder angle, and neck length. Yeah it's not the fastest but it ain't bad.
Ballisticly look at a 27 nosler with a 150 gr SBD2, pretty good, 28 Nosler aint bad. I just can't afford more Nosler cartridges or I'd own them. I might own a 27 nosler if they don't come out with anymore 270 wsm brass.
Let's not get crossed up here, please!
Thanks to OP for pointing out what I posted. "Seems the short mag length of the nosler rifles crippled the whole line up". I'm about $7 grand deep into a custom 33 nosler rifle with a gracious 3.8"+ mag length because I see the same attributes you describe. Again, Nosler put the novel 33Nosler (and the 30 as well) on a leash with their rifle's short box length!
Lefty, I appreciate and look forward to more of your data as it comes together! Not a lot of real world information on this cartridge! I have some work to do!

After seeing where I thought I should focus a fine powder charge test I loaded up 8 rounds. Starting charge (H4831sc) was 79.7 grains up to 81.8 grains in .3 grain increments with the 250 SMK. Speeds as follows:

2925 some stiffness lifting bolt and click

I fired these at steel since conditions sucked with rain and some wind so i didn't want to set out paper and walk through the muddy farm field. Still ended up with 6 for 8 on steel at 815 yards. Next time out I hope to be able to shoot a group on paper. I'll be loading 5 rounds at 80.4 grains since there was only a 4fps spread between 80.3 and 80.6 grains.

It is your rifle and your health Idaho Trecker but seeing no one else is saying it, I will:

All your load data you just listed, (79.7 -81.8) is well above listed loads by Nosler and Hodgdon! Nosler's max load is 76 and Hodgdon's is 75.4 for a 250 gr bullet.

2900 fps with this size cartridge is pretty much duplicating the performance of the much larger case, the 338 Lapua.

Have you put a strain gauge on your rifle to know the pressure you are running?

Last edited:
Nosler is normally quite conservative/ low end on their loads, especially when you compare some calibers to the Hornady manual. Just my observation, but a person should always proceed with caution. Thank all of you guys for your testing and opinions, all have value to me. 👍🤝🍺🍺🇺🇸💪

Great info op.
Coincidentally, I'm building a nearly identical rifle with the same stock, barrel profile, brake and scope. I just sent a 9.3 twist Bart and a 5 port Ti brake to the smith and he has my An-Ti action.

I shopped the 33 nosler after having a 30 and loving it. I ended up with a 338 RUM since my Smith didn't have a 33 nos reamer and a if I did the 33 it would have been on a custom throated reamer adding greatly to the time. Therefore I went with the RUM. Performance should be similar.

Gray bush said it well. The 30 and 33 nosler case is about ideal in capacity for a hunting rig.There's so many high bc 250 grain 33s out there. Once you get them rolling at elk altitude they maintain speed forever.

Reemty J,

I get it that load data from bullet manufacturers can be a bit conservative. Appreciate this comment from you: "but a person should always proceed with caution."

If the case capacity of a given cartridge is considered, you can get similar performance with different cases IF the capacity is close as with the 33 Nosler and the 340 Weatherby.

Have to disagree with you, Reemty, this is not true with the 33 Nosler and a 338 RUM 81.4 vs 99.1 case capacity, respectively, according to Nosler when using 250 gr bullets seated per SAMMI. These cases will not produce similar performance. Just like engines there is no substitute for cubic inches.

I think CAUTION and your results may vary should be said often. I often mention this when I share information> Also say the reamer is not a SAMMI or a barrel is quite worn which would reduce pressures due to more freebore than a newer barrel.

This site is among the best for sharing information. Hope my comments are not out of line.

It is your rifle and your health Idaho Trecker but seeing no one else is saying it, I will:

All your load data you just listed, (79.7 -81.8) is well above listed loads by Nosler and Hodgdon! Nosler's max load is 76 and Hodgdon's is 75.4 for a 250 gr bullet.

2900 fps with this size cartridge is pretty much duplicating the performance of the much larger case, the 338 Lapua.

Have you put a strain gauge on your rifle to know the pressure you are running?

Thanks for your concern. I stopped when I saw/felt pressure signs like I do with any other cartridge. I guess I will start preface any data I collect with MY rifle more often. It's sad that it has to be said constantly but as you said it's the internet.

Yes it is above book listing but as stated they are very conservative and run at Sammi length. Also, their 250 grain bullets have VERY long bearing surfaces that will slow them down and see pressure sooner. The nosler loads are all based on the super short Sammi spec with their long bearing surfaced bullets taking up a lot of case volume and building pressure sooner.

No I do not have a strain gauge. Do you have one? Recommendations on one?

I had this throated long. My dummy round was set with the boattail 050" above the neck/shoulder junction of the case. The 250 smk has a very short bearing surface. In my testing I've done I've seen between 60-90 fps more (same charge) just with having a bullets seated .100" or deeper vs 020" off the lands. This is a brux and in my experience they seem to run a little faster than most others. All the little additions from the reamer to the barrel to seating depth and bearing surface length add up to where I'd expect it to be.

Idaho......Now that is much better! Spec differences add up and IMO should be mentioned, which you just did. Thanks. I had read the whole thread and now the specifics are mentioned which should help anyone wanting to load for their 33 Nosler.

Great respectful discussion, well done. I have a Nosler long range rifle, I wish I would have done the 33 Nosler on a Remington action/ magazine as I could seat bullets a lot farther out, Nosler rifles are limited in that ability. Any of you need 33 Nosler brass or bullets I have a fair amount of selection, private message me