33 Nosler neck sizer bushings

SSG Graybush

Question for any 33 Nosler reloaders.
So my Peterson bass is .0145 thick on average. So .338" + .029"(2x.0145") = .367", minus .002" for neck tension, and my best guess for a bushing is .365". Sammi spec on chamber says neck is .368", leaving clearance of ~.003".
Is this what you guys are doing? Am ordering die set so no way to load and measure a round.
Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519_114008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_114008_Chrome.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 29
So my Peterson bass is .0145 thick on average. So .338" + .029"(2x.0145") = .367", minus .002" for neck tension, and my best guess for a bushing is .365". Sammi spec on chamber says neck is .368", leaving clearance of ~.003".
Is this what you guys are doing? Am ordering die set so no way to load and measure a round.
Thanks for any info.
That should work but you never know 100% until you can measure a loaded round.

I go down 3 thou and use an expander 2 thou under caliber size, which also seems to be fairly common.

You're going to end up with multiple bushings, there's no other way to know what's best unless you try several. Whidden sells 5-packs with their dies, Forster sells 3-packs for this reason.

The .365 might work out of the gate, or it might not. I use .363 in 338 Edge with ADG brass, ~.014" thick. If you can only have one bushing I'd lean towards -.004 or -.005 out of the gate to ensure you get enough sizing. I use an LE Wilson "new" mandrel on all my cases so I always have that in hand to neck back up if the initial guess it incorrect.

Sammi spec on chamber says neck is .368"
Nosler pic says loaded round diameter is .368". SAAMI print shows .370" on the cartridge neck end diameter, and the chamber spec print shows .372". If your loaded neck OD is in the neighborhood of .368 then you have ample clearance against a min spec chamber.

Attachments

• 33-Nosler-Public-Introduction.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Bushings per cartridge in the same caliber having saami specs at ? numbers and not counting brass differences on what to buy sounds like a pain? As far as neck tension goes is there a "best" amount or is it more of a preference? I have a 7saum and adg brass (not an example) and awaiting on dies for it (supposedly Thursday arrival). I'll load "x" amount of rounds and take an average measurement at the neck then subtract how much? I'll check on the multiple bushing packs, but do they work on all brands or specific to their brand only? I'm wondering as I use lee fcd's and there's not 1 in stock for the 7saum or 7wsm. I could use the wsm fcd or would there be something closer to the 7saum dimensions?

I'll load "x" amount of rounds and take an average measurement at the neck then subtract how much?
IMO -0.004" to start with. Is this an AR?

ll check on the multiple bushing packs, but do they work on all brands or specific to their brand only?
Some work in multiple brands. Whidden, Redding, RCBS, and maybe Hornady I think are interchangeable. Forster is special and only works in their dies.

I'm wondering as I use lee fcd's and there's not 1 in stock for the 7saum or 7wsm. I could use the wsm fcd or would there be something closer to the 7saum dimensions?
@ButterBean

Bushings per cartridge in the same caliber having saami specs at ? numbers and not counting brass differences on what to buy sounds like a pain? As far as neck tension goes is there a "best" amount or is it more of a preference? I have a 7saum and adg brass (not an example) and awaiting on dies for it (supposedly Thursday arrival). I'll load "x" amount of rounds and take an average measurement at the neck then subtract how much? I'll check on the multiple bushing packs, but do they work on all brands or specific to their brand only? I'm wondering as I use lee fcd's and there's not 1 in stock for the 7saum or 7wsm. I could use the wsm fcd or would there be something closer to the 7saum dimensions?
The WSM FCD will need to be modified, I'm setting up shop now so I can get back to fixing the FCD for the folks that need them

The .367" roughly represents your loaded neck OD.
If your chamber neck actually turns out .368"(SAAMI), then you would roughly have .001" of clearance.
This clearance and your bushing selection as described would work for a bolt gun, but it's considered tight.
You should validate your numbers, for every single case, when you have it all in-hand.

It could turn out that you're ok, -or that you need to turn necks to be ok.

Not so much, the length is mostly what needs modified
I decided to check other cartridges in the same caliber to compare. Having 5 26cals to check against the 260rem was fine in the 6.5creed, but the reverse wasn't so much. Didn't check any further.

Thanks for any info.
I use a 337 mandrel on the inside of my necks and that's all I do and use just a neck sizing die ,I shoot 235 hammers and it shoots great out 700 yds with once fired brass by nosler . good luck on loading it