making neck sizer bushings

rscott5028

I got myself into a pinch because I've been using no-turn Lapua brass up to now.

I turned some this weekend purely for consistency and suddenly find myself needing to step down from my current .268" to .267" for my Redding Type-S neck sizer bushing. I thought I had several sizes on hand. But, not so.

The catch is that I really need one today and can't find anyone local that stocks these. (Or, they aren't open on Mondays)

Other than titanium-nitrided...

Is there anything special I need to consider if I turn my own on my lathe?

I should be able to closely match the dimensions of one I already have and polish the ID/match the radius, etc...

Is stainless from a chopped Kreiger barrel Ok?

I'd really like to size and load this batch today. But, I don't want any surprises.
Thanks!
Richard

I got myself into a pinch because I've been using no-turn Lapua brass up to now.

I turned some this weekend purely for consistency and suddenly find myself needing to step down from my current .268" to .267" for my Redding Type-S neck sizer bushing. I thought I had several sizes on hand. But, not so.

The catch is that I really need one today and can't find anyone local that stocks these. (Or, they aren't open on Mondays)

Other than titanium-nitrided...

Is there anything special I need to consider if I turn my own on my lathe?

I should be able to closely match the dimensions of one I already have and polish the ID/match the radius, etc...

Is stainless from a chopped Kreiger barrel Ok?

I'd really like to size and load this batch today. But, I don't want any surprises.
Thanks!
Richard

the hard part is hardening them (no pun). I would make them out of A2 drill rod. Leave no more than .003" in the bore (probably gonna be too much). They may open up five tenths or shrink five tenths (know it's not supposed to but I've seen it happen). You probably want to hone the I.D.'s, and a bore that small is going to be a hassel without a Sunnen hone. This steel gets very hard, and dosn't hone all that well.

You might want to also consider buying a ground finished piece of 4150 pretreat steel. This stuff machines very well even though it Rockwells at 28-32rc. Leave about a thousandth in the bore, and have them nitrided. Then simply polish them to size. This would be the easiest route.

The otherway to do it is with O-1 oil hardening steel. You'll want to leave a little more stock in the bore, and these can be heated and quench in oil

The rifle barrel will be too soft
gary

the hard part is hardening them (no pun). I would make them out of A2 drill rod. Leave no more than .003" in the bore (probably gonna be too much). They may open up five tenths or shrink five tenths (know it's not supposed to but I've seen it happen). You probably want to hone the I.D.'s, and a bore that small is going to be a hassel without a Sunnen hone. This steel gets very hard, and dosn't hone all that well.

You might want to also consider buying a ground finished piece of 4150 pretreat steel. This stuff machines very well even though it Rockwells at 28-32rc. Leave about a thousandth in the bore, and have them nitrided. Then simply polish them to size. This would be the easiest route.

The otherway to do it is with O-1 oil hardening steel. You'll want to leave a little more stock in the bore, and these can be heated and quench in oil

The rifle barrel will be too soft
gary

Gary,

I knew you would have the answer. Sounds like a job for FedEx.

Meanwhile, I have a batch set aside that was very symmetric and didn't need turning.

Thanks!
Richard

I found a guy that knows a guy and I'll have the real thing later tonight.

thanks!
Richard

I've had the chance to buy a used Sunnen hone a half dozen times, and have kicked myself in the butt a dozen times for not buying one of them. The ones I made used three sets of stones to get the finish I desired.
gary

I just got complacent because this 6br is so easy to load for. Then, at the last minute I sorted down to the most even neck thickness and decided to turn the rest. But, I didn't do the math a couple of days back when there would've been plenty of time to order bushings. Nonetheless, I got what I needed late last night.

The photo below is my son practicing with the cull brass at 500yds. I'm not sure reloading finess is much of an issue. Rather he's going to have to get his POA=POI down quickly and then deal with the wind.

-- richard

Attachments

• bVDti.jpg
    bVDti.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.