Redding neck sizer die issue 28 Nosler

Colin78

I got my Redding neck sizer die in this week for 28 Nosler and put it to use today on some fire formed brass. Loaded up some ammo 30 thousands off lands but when I chamber the rounds the bullet is scraping on one side. All the rounds that were neck sized are doing this. Grabbed a full length sized brass, loaded it, and it does not touch. When setting up the Redding neck die I did it just the same as my RCBS FL die. Raised the ram, screwed in die till it touched, lowered ram, made a 1/8 turn down with die, and then started sizing. Did I do something wrong or get a bad die? Is there a way to tell if the die is off center? If it is I can't be by much as the bullet on scratches a very little, but I'm sure it will effect accuracy.

I have a Redding 28 nosler neck die that does the same thing.

So you just not use it? Or has the runout not effected your accuracy?

I did just try it again this time I left a very small gap, probably just a couple thousands, between the shell holder and the die to allow a little wiggle room and this seems to have helped tremendously. I posted this on a Facebook group and someone said to put an oring between the die locking ring and the press as this solved his issue. Gonna try that tomorrow IF Lee won't make me a collet die. If they will this die will be going back to Redding.

Last edited:
I read your problem and was thinking, Could the new neck sizing die be making a tighter neck, Than the full length die. Then as the bullet is being seated in the case, The case is giving on one side, May not be annealed even, or case thinner on one side. Causing neck and bullet to be cocked out of line with the body of case.
Measure the expanders or inserts, And inside neck diameter of a shell case from both dies, May tell the problem.
From Just cut's answer that may have been his problem too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.