308 win. What is your powder choice

My favorite is Varget but I have had exvellent results from IMR4895 and R15 as well. I think the newer Varget may have the best temperature stability.

I used Varget for decades. Then it became scarce several years ago. I read on AccurateShooter.com that there was a new powder called IMR 8208 XBR. I found it was available locally and decided to give it a try. I now use it exclusively in my 308, 30 BR and 6 BR. I have no intentions of going back to Varget.

Hodgdon says: "shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature".

A few articles on this excellent powder:

8208 XBR « Daily Bulletin

Hodgdon Releases Impressive New IMR 8208 XBR Powder « Daily Bulletin

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/01/shot-show-report-hodgdon-talks-about-imr-8208-xbr/

Jackie Schmidt Tests New IMR 8208 XBR Powder — Results are Very Impressive « Daily Bulletin

R15 and IMR 4895 but I have to think these new IMR Enduron powders like the 4166 might be a bit better.

IMR 4166
In the past I used R-15 and norma 203B. I found better stability in the velocity with temperature swings and minimal copper fouling is an added bonus. R-16 maybe a powder to investigate as well.

It seems like no one has to mention two of the ones I have good results with. That being Win. 748 and VV N550.

I have used almost all so far but the best results so far has been with VV N550.

The others shoot well in mine except for Varget. Never got the results others were getting.

Though more expensive, VV is what I use mostly.

168 gr or 175 gr SMK 2.840"
44.5 gr. VV N550
Lapua Case
CCI BR2

This load shoots great out to 400 for me.
Factory barrel Rem. 700's (2) One 24" and one 26" Both are 1 in 12" twist.

Started out with IMR064 and had some good results, nothing fancy in my rifle, but good enough for most hunting situations.
Tried Varget out and the groups tightened up to around .6" @ 100 yards.
A friend gave me a pound of 4166 and groups were in the same ballpark as Varget.
I haven't tried any of the VV powder nor the 8208 etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.