What powder 152 Hammer Hunter 308 win

Colin78

guys my 308 is finally ready to pick up from smith and I'm ready to start working on load development. I have Luna brass, 152 grain Hammer Hunters, F215 primers but I'm not sure which powder to start with. It must me a temperature stable powder. Choices from what I have on hand....varget, H4350, Retumbo, H4895, or H4831sc. I'd like to get to 3,000 fps. Leaning towards varget but I read an old post of someone using Retumbo but they never came back to post results. I'm thinking Retumbo will be too slow. I have a 20" barrel. So what have you had good luck with or recommend.

Of the choices listed it's easy Varget or H 4895 will work but when I load shorter barrels and lighter bullets XBR 8208 is my choice.

I see 2840 as a max load in my 308 with the same component you listed and Varget. I have a 21" barrel. My accuracy load is 2810fps.

There is no way I could get to 3000 with Varget as my max load was already compressed.

I see 2840 as a max load in my 308 with the same component you listed and Varget. I have a 21" barrel. My accuracy load is 2810fps.

There is no way I could get to 3000 with Varget as my max load was already compressed.

Are you shooting Hammer bullets? They defy all things possible when it comes to velocity.

3k with a 152 gr bullet in a 308?
And temperature insensitivity?
Cfe 223 or n540 would be the best choices for max velocity
Neither are temp insensitive
Varget and 4895 are really the only two that you listed that will work with a 308. At 45.5gr of varget I get ejector swipes with 155s and I'm a long ways from 3k mv.
You need a ball powder to crunch more in a 308 case, but I hope you have a good action

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and loaded Varget in 1 grain increments from 42 to 47. Not sure I will get to my desired speed but I would rather have temperature stability at a little less speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.