Hammer Hunter in 308

As ButterBean mentioned, HH's also require slightly faster powders /more of it to achieve full potential.
Look at load data and choose a powder with lower fill % to give you room to add more powder. HH's also exhibit lower engraving pressure, so you can use more powder to get to pressure/velocity. Not as pronounced as Absolute Hammers, but still present.

In researching Hammer load data for a few other calibers I've seen ButterBean all over these forums, and he's got some great input. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's suggesting running a lighter bullet than you would normally use in a conventional lead bullet. I don't load Hammers in my 308 Win (at least not yet) because I currently use 130 gr TTSX's and they've been very lethal on California deer, but I've already been eyeballing the 137 gr Hammer Hunters as a replacement.

In researching Hammer load data for a few other calibers I've seen ButterBean all over these forums, and he's got some great input. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's suggesting running a lighter bullet than you would normally use in a conventional lead bullet. I don't load Hammers in my 308 Win (at least not yet) because I currently use 130 gr TTSX's and they've been very lethal on California deer, but I've already been eyeballing the 137 gr Hammer Hunters as a replacement.
Run the 124's

I've been shooting the 130gr TTSX in my .308 for some time now. They shoot unbelievably well out to 400yds and drop deer quickly.
But ......... I'm addicted to testing new bullets and have had good luck with the HH bullets in other cartridges so I'm going to try the 124HH bullets. Not giving up on the time-tested 130 TTSX but continuing the quest. LOL

Let me explain why I keep suggesting the 124's, Hammers of all flavors are a "Unconventional Bullet" so if it's loaded with "Conventional" Thinking while the bullet itself will still perform flawlessly you will not be using it to it's full potential, there is a small independent group who have done extensive real world tests and the results are simply amazing, The key to this is "Speed Kills" I assure you I will not steer you wrong, I do not work for Hammer nor do I have any financial gain from our findings but I assure you in the world of bullets the Hammer's are a complete game changer but once again the they are "Unconventional" so you have to change your way of thinking, Some folks will never figure it out and that's fine, for those that have or will............. Welcome to the Club

The only thing that wrecked my group during load development with the Kimber is that thin contour barrel hates having the magneto speed strapped to it. Also I wouldn't say recoil is worse buts sure is snappy going light and fast compared to standard loads, but again its a sub-7lb 30-06 so its kinda what it is.

Let me explain why I keep suggesting the 124's, Hammers of all flavors are a "Unconventional Bullet" so if it's loaded with "Conventional" Thinking while the bullet itself will still perform flawlessly you will not be using it to it's full potential, there is a small independent group who have done extensive real world tests and the results are simply amazing, The key to this is "Speed Kills" I assure you I will not steer you wrong, I do not work for Hammer nor do I have any financial gain from our findings but I assure you in the world of bullets the Hammer's are a complete game changer but once again the they are "Unconventional" so you have to change your way of thinking, Some folks will never figure it out and that's fine, for those that have or will............. Welcome to the Club
I'm in CA and have no doubt that the 124g will kill pretty much anything I need it to in this state. If I were going to WY for big mullies or elk would you recommend the same weight bullet in a 308 or would I need to step up to a larger bullet or do I need to step up to something like a 300 WM? I don't think for me personally I would take a shot past 400 yards until I get much more proficient with my rifle.

I'm in CA and have no doubt that the 124g will kill pretty much anything I need it to in this state. If I were going to WY for big mullies or elk would you recommend the same weight bullet in a 308 or would I need to step up to a larger bullet or do I need to step up to something like a 300 WM? I don't think for me personally I would take a shot past 400 yards until I get much more proficient with my rifle.
500 yards and in I would run the 124 providing you are you are pushing it hard

It's been proven that 124 grain Hammer Hunter in .308 Win. traveling ~3,200fps inside of 400 yards will kill any deer or pig DRT. For me, Varget fell short due to case capacity. 49.5 grains of Winchester 748 maxed (due to case capacity) @ 3,150fps but accuracy wasn't there. With 48.5 grains of W748 accuracy was acceptable @ 3,093fps. Tomorrow I will be testing Ramshot TAC, I will keep you posted. I took advice from Steve and utilized the online Nosler Load Data.

Last edited:
It's been proven that 124 grain Hammer Hunter in .308 Win. traveling ~3,200fps inside of 400 yards will kill any deer or pig DRT. For me, Varget fell short due to case capacity. 49.5 grains of Winchester 748 maxed (due to case capacity) @ 3,150fps but accuracy wasn't there. With 48.5 grains of W748 accuracy was acceptable @ 3,093fps. Tomorrow I will be testing Ramshot TAC, I will keep you posted. I took advice from Steve and utilized the online Nosler Load Data.
I believe Tac may work for you, I never ran the 124 in 308 but it's been spectacular in all of our other testing

Can you share some info about your testing on the 30-06 with the 124?

Thanks in advance.....Buzz
From the 30-06 to the 300 RUM the results have been exactly the same, when the 124 is pushed hard but yet still safe 3450 (30-06)- 4000+( RUM) they simply devastate anything in the way, they have been tested extensively an critters ranging from 1800 pounds to rabbits with almost every shot placement you can think of ( including very questionable and gut shots ) and the results have been the same, Dead critters, Speed Kills Gentlemen, Speed combined with Hammers area complete game changer in the world of hunting

From the 30-06 to the 300 RUM the results have been exactly the same, when the 124 is pushed hard but yet still safe 3450 (30-06)- 4000+( RUM) they simply devastate anything in the way, they have been tested extensively an critters ranging from 1800 pounds to rabbits with almost every shot placement you can think of ( including very questionable and gut shots ) and the results have been the same, Dead critters, Speed Kills Gentlemen, Speed combined with Hammers area complete game changer in the world of hunting
What is suggested minimum velocities on some of the HH's. Where should someone be concerned that's shooting at longer ranges. Being a solid is harder I'm just wanting to be careful as to not push outside minimum velocity. I know it's a broad question but maybe some examples the experienced can suggest.