308 win. What is your powder choice

I've had minimal success with Varget as well.

I had high hopes after reading all the praise of it. I bought a pound and tried it to no avail. Just wasn't getting what I wanted. Tried with 2 rifles that are very accurate but no cigar. Heck, even Win 748 shot better for me. Just goes to show you how different rifles are.

Another powder I could not get to shoot was IMR 3031 with 150-168 gr. bullets. Guess that is why we reload huh?

I had high hopes after reading all the praise of it. I bought a pound and tried it to no avail. Just wasn't getting what I wanted. Tried with 2 rifles that are very accurate but no cigar. Heck, even Win 748 shot better for me. Just goes to show you how different rifles are.

Another powder I could not get to shoot was IMR 3031 with 150-168 gr. bullets. Guess that is why we reload huh?

Yup. I've shot pounds of it. I've had some success in some rifles with some bullets but nothing ever real consistent. Usually I find a powder that will shoot beautiful with bullets ranging from 155-190s. That's the powder I'll settle on for a given 308.

Yup. I've shot pounds of it. I've had some success in some rifles with some bullets but nothing ever real consistent. Usually I find a powder that will shoot beautiful with bullets ranging from 155-190s. That's the powder I'll settle on for a given 308.

Maybe a pound of N550 will cure your need. I have not shot anything above 178 gr. in mine.

168 and 175 SMK's do very well with it in mine. Just a thought for you to ponder.

Thought you threw me a curve there. I have the BR2 in spades. No palma cases on hand. Are you getting better results with them?

I get much lower extreme spreads easier with Palma cases. My 1000 yard vertical dispersion is usually 4" or sometimes better. The hold pressure better as well. Plus they have more volume. I can run 49 grains of H4350 under the 208s at 3.050" COAL with only minor compression. Bear in mind 49.0 is pretty warm. Start quite a bit lower if you try it.

I get much lower extreme spreads easier with Palma cases. My 1000 yard vertical dispersion is usually 4" or sometimes better. The hold pressure better as well. Plus they have more volume. I can run 49 grains of H4350 under the 208s at 3.050" COAL with only minor compression. Bear in mind 49.0 is pretty warm. Start quite a bit lower if you try it.

I have no intention with heavy bullets in 308. I have a 300 WM for that. The Palma cases do interest me though. That would mean small rifle primers. More expense for me. Still interested though.

You and I live at opposite ends of the world. I'm in Louisiana and the temp is in the mid 90's right now. No shooting for a while for me. My long range shooting is limited to 400 yds. where I shoot. I envy you shooting 1000 yds.

It has been a long time for shooting 1000 yds. for me. 1966-67 on a live firing range. Only difference is the targets could shoot back!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.