.308 Powder Choice

IMR-3031 with a magnum primer will give you consistant performance winter to summer with a 175 SMK, 40.2 - 40.6 grns depending on your OAL

Thanks for all the input. I managed to pick up 2 lbs each of Varget and IMR 4064 and will see how I do loading 165 gr SGKs.

IMR 4064 works great so does RL-15, Varget forget it can't find it since last year, but I tried RL-17 so far nothing conclusive, last test load with 47 gr of RL-17 produced 1.2" - .82" 5 shot groups, so I'm back to 4064 and RL-15, did tried once H4895 couldn't get those fliers to stop......when u say RL 15 is that alliant reloader 15 ? Sorry I'm a newbie lol thanks

Thanks for all the input. I managed to pick up 2 lbs each of Varget and IMR 4064 and will see how I do loading 165 gr SGKs.

Be careful with the Varget. It can have quite a bit of variance from batch to batch. If you have two pounds, check to make sure that the lot numbers are the same. If they are not, you will need to start your load development over when you get to the second can.

Buffalobob on this board had a pet load for his 308 using varget. When he ran out he got another batch and for some reason went ahead and put together bunch of rounds for a casual f-class match (without any testing). From the first shot, he had to beat his bolt open with a hammer.

Also, be aware that varget is an extreme powder and it will shoot differently based on the ambient temperature.

Also, be aware that varget is an extreme powder and it will shoot differently based on the ambient temperature.

I thought that BECAUSE it WAS an extreme powder, it had LESS variance with ambient temps (than standard powders). At least that's what Hodgdon claims.

Not trying to argue lol :rolleyes:.

I am a big fan of RE-15 in my VTR (.308) (big enough fan that I've nearly used up my first pound). It shoots pretty well in my 7mm Rem Mag. with 140gr Sierra GameKing too, though I am about to load test H-1000 for it.

I'm getting 1.38" - 1.6" groups at 300 yards with a 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter. I did a lot of testing to find the seating depth, powder type, and powder charge that my rifle likes with the bullet that I chose. Now I get to do it all again with a Berger 168gr VLD :D I'm happier than a dog with two pee pee's

I thought that BECAUSE it WAS an extreme powder, it had LESS variance with ambient temps (than standard powders). At least that's what Hodgdon claims.

Not trying to argue lol :rolleyes:.

My statement is based on real-world observation of several friends that use varget. All of them say that termperature has a real affect on vertical stringing. One friend goes to the extreme, during the summer, of keeping his ammo in a cooler and only taking it out when he's ready to shoot.

My statement is based on real-world observation of several friends that use varget. All of them say that termperature has a real affect on vertical stringing. One friend goes to the extreme, during the summer, of keeping his ammo in a cooler and only taking it out when he's ready to shoot.

Is this @ 100 yds., or further. Most of my sight in and testing is during the summer. I usually don't do a lot of load testing in super cold temps lol.

In my 20" hunting rifle I use 155 gr Hornady bullets w/wolf primers and 44-45 grs of IMR 4064 for hunting. The hunting load is great on deer! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.