powder choice

Pete L

can anyone tell me the best way to decided on a suitable powder when lets say a rifle shoots well using 3 different powders but all have different burn rates,whats the best way to decide to go for a faster or slower burn

All other things being equal...

1. Most important - use the powder that is most temp stable. Hodgdons Extreme powders are the best for this.

2. Use the powder that fills the case the most!

Remember, these rules apply AFTER accuracy.

For example, I use 16 grains more powder with my retumbo load than my imr 4350 load in a 338 lapua with a 300 smk. But, I prefer the IMR 4350 load because accuracy is stellar. This is a smaller load and a less temp stable powder, but accuracy is best. If accuracy was the same I'd use retumbo.

Not to confuse you more, but I might use the retumbo load if I was hunting or shooting in hot weather since the IMR 4350 might not perform like it does now.

By the way, the Retumbo was an awesome load, I'm just a perfectionist!

Three powders with equal accuracy - Hmmm - You may want to consider the slowest powder because it should have the lowest peak pressure (easier on rifle & cases) and the highest loading density which usually adds to consistency.

Other things to consider:
Given 3 powders exhibiting similar accuracy; why not pick the one that produces the highest velocity (if thats important) or the the powder that produces the lowest standard deviation? Personally, I always look for low SD in the endless search for the perfect load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Given 3 powders exhibiting similar accuracy; why not pick the one that produces the highest velocity (if thats important) or the the powder that produces the lowest standard deviation? Personally, I always look for low SD in the endless search for the perfect load.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! That is the best recommendation. The powder giving the most uniform velocities is always first in my book. Accuracy needs to be there too but that can come from tweeking seating depths, changing bullets, or shooting the same bullet farther out to see if accuracy improves. If the velos aren't uniform, you ain't gonna shoot long range too well.

I second Mr accurate! Accuracy is first and foremost, after that comes velocity. I'm with you on the retumbo as well, I'm not very happy with it's accuracy. I use h-1000 in my 338 lapua even though it's quite a bit slower on it's accuracy loading. The difference is the retumbo load shoots 3/4 inch and the H-1000 load shoots 1/4. If I had to have the FPS for hunting large game I would use the retumbo, but Prairie Poodles can't tell the 140 FPS isn't there when the 300SMK smacks them.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried 7828?? or WMR? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Wish i had 100 pounds of WMR!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.