308 long range help

What are you considering pretty cool weather ? 59-65 degrees- want cool come to NY- it's cool here or go to Mich, Wisc . Been using SRP for a cool long time with no problem. Shoot my M1A & M24 no problem either and my Kimber Tactical all in 08.

Depending on the rifle and firing pin hole sometimes SRP can be an issue and the bolt face needs to be bushing and can possibly need a new firing pin. Nothing wrong with SRP but just so the OP knows going in what could happen.

On OCD brass prep, I have never been into it. Never turned a neck or weighed a case but still get very accurate ammo. Just need to use good brass and size it right in bumping the shoulder .001-002" and using a good neck tension in the .001-002" area. I use .002" myself in the .308 and other short actions.

The H powders have good temp stability so if shooting in cold winters and warm summers they do well but others can work but you need to test them in both climates. That's why I like Varget because when I lived in CT and shot matches in southern TX I can work up a load in CT winter and shoot it in TX summer without issue.

Lastly the 168-185grn bullet weight is a good all around .308 weight. Yes those who shoot F Class use the 200-208s and they are accurate but I like to have a flatter trajectory in my .308 for the matches I shoot. If just sending rounds out and trajectory means nothing to you then yeah try them with their higher BCs but for the case size I like the 168-185 weight.

As previously stated my first bullet choice is the Berger 200.20x followed by the Hornady 208 eld-m and the new Berger 208 target hybrid. My number one powder for the 308 heavies is Reloder 17. I live at 2300 ft above sea level and with 46.2 grains of R17 I get 2620 fps in a lapua case and OAL of 3.015. Using an EC tuner I get .5 MOA easily at 1000 yards. I have no affiliation with Erik Cortina but his tuner brakes just work. The above combo yields much greater velocity with much less wind drift and extends the hunting range of a 308 Win by about 200 yards. You can't do that with Varget, it maybe more temp stable but the performance is no where near that of R17 for heavies. My .02 for what it's worth.
Barrel length? If memory serves that's right close to an F class node from 28-30" barrel with varget

Howdy, so I'm trying to get the most accurate load for a 308 win out to a 1000 yards. I'm looking for suggestions on bullet weight and powder. The barrel is a proof research all steel 26" with a 10 twist. Any experience would be appreciated
The question that begs to be asked is what will you be shooting at, at 1000 yards. My 308 shot great groups with 165 Scirocco's on paper targets. It would not knock over steel sheep & coyotes. I then found a load with 200gr Sierra Match kings that gave me acceptable groups at range and nice scores on knocking over steel targets, but that did not give me an acceptable game round. My furthest shot on game, a whitetail came at 600yds with a .270 and 150gr Accubonds (regular not Long Range ABLR's). Puts em down every time.

168 Hybrids work well at 1K. Shot a bunch of them with my double lugged M1As. My buddy shoots them with his 20 inch AR10 and 4.5X scope service rifle at 1K. 200-15X at 1000 yards. The only service rifle in this list against some of the best long range shooters in the country. This was at the NRA National Matches

View attachment 350335
Sounds like a good buddy to know! Id love to see that ar10. Just stepping in the ar10/308 world it is a blast

I used 175 SMK Winchester brass with 4064 worked well . SMK is a good bullet for load testing, accurate without Detailed inspection of each bullet

Sounds like a good buddy to know! Id love to see that ar10. Just stepping in the ar10/308 world it is a blast
We do most of his barrels in my garage shop with him running the lathe and mill.

Done a couple of AR10s for me from take off FTR Krieger 10T barrels. Easy to salvage 20 inches from them. For hunting rifles I finish them with non standard contours to suit the weight I need. The one with a FLIR PTS536 I turned down the barrel light enough to cut down the total weight.

We do most of his barrels in my garage shop with him running the lathe and mill.

Done a couple of AR10s for me from take off FTR Krieger 10T barrels. Easy to salvage 20 inches from them. For hunting rifles I finish them with non standard contours to suit the weight I need. The one with a FLIR PTS536 I turned down the barrel light enough to cut down the total weight.
Sounds like i need to get out of idaho and move to texas!! Hoping to shoot this barrel out and get a krieger or proof to get more accuracy. So far im pleased with aero's BA barrel and my first stock set up. Wish i could find ammo cheaper thinking about reloading for it.

R700, 20 inch barrel, 168gr SMK in mixed Federal brass, CCI large rifle primers, 44.2gr Varget powder, hit 1140 yards.
R700, 24 inch barrel, 168gr SMK in mixed Federal brass, CCI large rifle primers, 44.8gr Varget, hit 1140 yards with a 46.1 MOA hold up and 2 MOA hold left

R700, 20 inch barrel, 168gr SMK in mixed Federal brass, CCI large rifle primers, 44.2gr Varget powder, hit 1140 yards.
R700, 24 inch barrel, 168gr SMK in mixed Federal brass, CCI large rifle primers, 44.8gr Varget, hit 1140 yards with a 46.1 MOA hold up and 2 MOA hold left
What's your best guess on the retained velocity at 1140 with the 20 inch tube. What is the measured muzzle velocity?

Too bad Berger quit loading the 200.20x in 308.

Their rep told me they used Varget or N140 depending on what they had. Those were moving at close to 2500 FPS out of my 20" barrel.

215s when you can find them are moving at 2493 FPS with Rl16. If you can stomach it, that IS your long range bullet...

I have seen 200.20x available quite a bit. No idea how they do on an animal.