.308 Long range hunting?

crittrgittr

I know there is a thread on here discussing how far 308 should be used on large game. Could someone please guide me to it? Also if anyone has fresh input I'd like to here that as well. Thank you.

What it comes down to for me is energy and bullet performance to take that game quickly. For me thats about 650yds max. It can shoot much further than that but bullet performance may not work, thus resulting in wound.

The biggest problem with the .308 is that if you shoot the high BC heavy for caliber bullets the velocity is so low that the time of flight becomes an issue on game. If your time of flight exceeds about a second a lot can change between the time your brain gets the signal to pull the trigger to the trigger and the round then gets to the animal.

As a rule I just don't like to shoot anything at a game animal beyond 400 yards that starts off with less than 2750FPS.

Thanks guys. I guess the reason I ask is that I finally broke down and bought one. I have numerous other calibers, but have always wanted a legend of target shooting. I am planning an elk hunt in a couple years and will be using my 300WM as my primary, but am wondering if this 308 will be a reasonable back up out to 500 yds? I am from WI and it's very difficult to find a place to shoot beyond that. I realize bullet selection will be very important.

Thanks guys. I guess the reason I ask is that I finally broke down and bought one. I have numerous other calibers, but have always wanted a legend of target shooting. I am planning an elk hunt in a couple years and will be using my 300WM as my primary, but am wondering if this 308 will be a reasonable back up out to 500 yds? I am from WI and it's very difficult to find a place to shoot beyond that. I realize bullet selection will be very important.
More than adequate with the right bullet and good placement.

Proper shot placement is more important than anything else.

I'll shorten a long story but for my dad's first elk hunt he spent what to him at the time was a big wad of money on a brand new LH 700bdl 7RM complete with a Bushnell BDC scope. He spent a year getting just the right custom load for it and shooting as frequently as he could to familiarize himself with the new set up and was convinced by the time he left he was really set up right.

Scope fails him, fogs up and freezes up on the second day of the hunt but he had taken his thirty plus year old Remington 760 30-06 still wearing the 4x weaver that came on it new.

Killed his very nice bull elk with it on the last day of his hunt shooting factory 180gr silvertips.

I like to use impact velocity for determining max range on game. 1800 fps is a good number for most bullets. So for example:

150 grain SST, MV 2700 fps, hits 1800 fps at 550 yards
168 grain ELD Match, MV 2600 fps, hits 1800 fps at 610 yards
178 grain ELD Match, MV 2500 fps, hits 1800 fps at 560 yards

You can fiddle around with BCs and muzzle velocity a little but I would treat your average .308 as a 500-600 yard gun. Some bullets will supposedly expand at velocities well below 1800 fps so you can maybe stretch that out if you really want.

Yes Bravo 4 that was one of the threads I was looking for, thank you. Great input from all of you- thank you. Looks like I'll be fine out to 500yds with it. It does have a 26" pipe so that should help as well.

Here's my conclusion on the 308: Run the highest BC bullet as fast as you can. Based on the numbers, the 215 hybrid and 180 elite hunting Bergers are in my opinion the best options for a 308 - use whichever your barrel twist will support. Spend a lot of time researching what your bullet will be doing at different ranges/environmental conditions. Keep the impact speed at 1800 fps + with either of those bullets and you can expect adequate terminal results on just about whatever you're trying to kill. I opened up a coyote a week ago with a 180 and left about a 10" exit hole at 840 yards, no doubt the bullet performed well - if the damage to the exit side of that coyote occurred halfway through the inside of an elk, good day.

Obviously if you can't put the bullet in the right spot, few other variables are likely going to matter.

morning, I have 2 308's.
Ruger M-77V and a custom on a 98 mauser action.

both guns shoot the Barnes 130 TTSX very well. the bullet has great

construction. I have shot hogs thru the head at various distances.

the norm is a 3/4" hole. shot a doe at 250yrds with this bullet. same

results. this bullet can be pushed hard and is very accurate!!

THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.