308 long range help

I've shot the .308 for years and always favored the Sierra 168 and RL15 basically its the M118 My local range is 300 yrds and have access to a 600 yrd at times. and could always get my rifles (an M40a1 and an M24) to shoot MOA groups consistently at those ranges In Wis we don't have 1000yrd ranges close to me. I've attended two shooting school events where you can go to 1400 yrds (A mile at the one in Montana)
the instructors were ex-military snipers They showed me how to see the trans-sonic "yawing" that happens with the 168's past 600 yards put the spotting scope a little out of focus and you could clearly see the vapor trail distortion from the bullet going below the speed of sound. They gave me a box of their loads which were 178gr Hornady BTHP's and I was ringing steel at 1000 yrd consistently

Doubtful....A good load is a good load if tuned in the conditions you plan on shooting in.

This will probably ruffle some feathers but none of the bullets listed by posters in this thread win matches or hold records.....You asked for accurate at 1000yrds...I give you the top three bullets based on competition results.
I'm pretty sure the first poster did. 200.20x and 185 jugs seem to be the sauce in FTR.

My 308 prefers 175 gn any thing lapua large primer brass, Federal 210 GM primers And 44gns RL 15. My barrel is. PAC Nor 1-11 twist. 1000 yds all day long

Not IMR but I've just started using H4895 and I'm liking it so far. Quickly landed on a 169 smk, another new good bullet, at 2675 ft/sec from a 20" barrel. This load should get me to 1k handily.

Prior to this I had excellent luck with RL-15. Varget has never impressed the rifles I've had. I'd be looking for RL-15, H4895, or IMR 4064 for powder. The SRP brass will just last longer if you're running max pressure loads. Virtually too many good bullets to list now but Sierra, berger, and hornady can all get you there. Start looking at form factor in addition to BC

Not IMR but I've just started using H4895 and I'm liking it so far. Quickly landed on a 169 smk, another new good bullet, at 2675 ft/sec from a 20" barrel. This load should get me to 1k handily.

Prior to this I had excellent luck with RL-15. Varget has never impressed the rifles I've had. I'd be looking for RL-15, H4895, or IMR 4064 for powder. The SRP brass will just last longer if you're running max pressure loads. Virtually too many good bullets to list now but Sierra, berger, and hornady can all get you there. Start looking at form factor in addition to BC
I've had good luck IMR4895, but better luck with H4895. It's funny I've had the same experiences with the powders you listed including Varget. I'll be receiving my 60 MOA NF rail Friday so I'll test my 168 CC loads past 1230 yards. I may try for a mile depending if the free range cattle are out. Three different lots of 168 CC 2nds so it probably won't be a true representation. Good for Shites and Gaggles. I want to try 208 ELDM's and Varget but my barrel is 1-12". It might not do well at my elevation.

Personally I would go with 175's - 185's on bullet weight. Use good brass and good primers. I would stick with large rifle match primers. If you get to heavy of a bullet you might run out of travel in the scope and you may not. Powder will all give you alot of variables which will depend on what bullet and weight and can react different even by what primers you use. Find a bullet you like and start doing test with different powders, then fine tune the best one.

I have been using the 175 SMKs, Varget, Fed 215Ms and Lapua brass. Gives me 2700 fps out of a 26" factory SPS barrel. I've used the 175 OTM but didn't see enough of an improvement to justify the $12/box additional cost.

Howdy, so I'm trying to get the most accurate load for a 308 win out to a 1000 yards. I'm looking for suggestions on bullet weight and powder. The barrel is a proof research all steel 26" with a 10 twist. Any experience would be appreciated
What elevation will you be shooting at?

As previously stated my first bullet choice is the Berger 200.20x followed by the Hornady 208 eld-m and the new Berger 208 target hybrid. My number one powder for the 308 heavies is Reloder 17. I live at 2300 ft above sea level and with 46.2 grains of R17 I get 2620 fps in a lapua case and OAL of 3.015. Using an EC tuner I get .5 MOA easily at 1000 yards. I have no affiliation with Erik Cortina but his tuner brakes just work. The above combo yields much greater velocity with much less wind drift and extends the hunting range of a 308 Win by about 200 yards. You can't do that with Varget, it maybe more temp stable but the performance is no where near that of R17 for heavies. My .02 for what it's worth.